Existing Member?

Wondering and Wandering I graduated. Now what? Do I live the life I never wanted to live? The one where I move to the city, get a job in a corporate cubicle, and slave away 60 hours a week for $40,000 a year? No thanks. How about 5 years down the road when I settle on a girl I don't truly love, buy the car I don't need, have the marriage that won't last, buy the home I can't afford? No thanks. I want to see things, I want to experience life in every way. This is the only life I've got, I might as well make the most of it and do something I won't foget. So here I am, travelling the world one step at a time. Where I'm going is yet to be decided, how long I'm there is up in the air, but one thing's for sure. Whatever I do, where ever I go, I'm going to be living. You can count on that.

Thoughts, this may be a bit random since I've been drinking tonight.

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 8 April 2007 | Views [631] | Comments [6]

Sometimes I wish I was what people considered God so that I could hear their secrets. Not so much to take advantage of them or to gain wealth for myself but simply because knowledge is power. It's not that I need or desire power, its that people respect the powerful and I appreciate respect. I'm making myself out to be some sort of power hungry assclown and I'm not, I just want to know peoples secrets. Just so I can know. What is happiness? Happiness is whatever people make it out to be, happiness makes people happy for whatever occurance it suits them. Sometimes people are happy just to live, at other times, people look for happiness in objects, wealth, people, or power. Am I making sense here? I think people are happy when it's convienent to be happy. Sometimes it's easier to be happy that it is at other times. For instance, just yesterday I took a 20 mile bike ride (20.6 to be exact) and that made me happy. It made me happy to be on my own. It made me happy to go 35 miles an hour (there was a bike computer attached to the handlebars that gave me these exact read-outs). It made me happy to stop, listen to the birds and the wind and nothing else. It made me happy to reach a pub at mile number 10 and enjoy a pint of cider and a hot burger made from Herefordshire beef. Sometimes it's the little things that make us happy, sometimes it takes a lot to make us happy. At this moment in time I'm very happy to just exist. To be able to wake up in the morning and appreciate what a good day looks, smells, and feels like. Granted, I may not always like my job, or enjoy a member of the family I live with, but I have learned to always enjoy the fact that I have my 5 senses, and the fact that I can enjoy life to it's fullest, and the fact that I have a choice in how I live my life, and the fact that there are people that love me and care about me. I know that I am one of the luckiest people I know because of the people in my life and the fact that I make my own choices. Thanks to those of you who appreicate me and what I'm doing, and to those of you who don't...why are you reading this? If you don't understand what I'm doing, re-read this passage. This trip, i've just realized, helps me understand myself and define what exactly I belive in. Ok, enough bullshitting. I'm going to bed now because I've got a sunburn (finally) and my ass hurts from riding that bike...and yes Rob, I'm sure it's because of the bike, not because of too many pints at the pub. I will post some pictures tomorrow. So it's almost midnight and I thought I would post a bit more. Yesterday, before I went on my bike ride I helped "Sir Richard" build a bonfire in the great wilderness. He was cleaning up the debris from the fallen tree and called on me for my assistance. Yes I know, I should be knighted. Tonight I walked a mile and a half just to go to a pub and have a pint of Stowford Press cider and a shot of Glenmorrainge scotch. Then I managed to make my way home in the dark without the help of a flashlight because I think I can see better in the dark now that carrots are a staple of my diet. Now I'm going to bed. Night all.

Tags: Philosophy of travel

Comments

1

Alex you are a hoot!!!. I love reading your posts, it is always entertaining. Since I have known you all your life, I understand you,(scary isn't it)?
You son are the most interesting person I know. Not a biased statement in the least. Just because you are my oldest grandson, why would you think that I am prejudiced?
Ok, maybe I am. So sue me. I love you and can't wait to see you.
GM

  Grandmother Apr 9, 2007 10:13 AM

2

Yeah, go ahead - sue Evelyn. It occurred to me Friday night when D&E's upcoming trip to Ireland was the topic of discussion, that it's April already. You've been gone almost 3 months. Time flies and all that. It's starting to feel like you might be gone awhile.

Blades of Glory was brainless and funny. Just what the therapist ordered.

  Jackie Apr 9, 2007 10:35 AM

3

I am so glad to know you, Alex. Where would I be if had just written you off as one of Jon's idiot friends long ago. Everytime I read your blog it reminds me to stop and enjoy life. Thanks for that, and thanks for not getting swept up in the mundane ever. I think even if you had stayed home and pursued your major and gotten some sort of "desk job" you would have still been one of the most perceptive and sensual people I have ever met. Your presence is still tangible in my life.
Miss you, though.
Jess

  Jessica Apr 9, 2007 10:43 AM

4

YOU chose who to be, what to believe, and who and what to support. You get to choose your destiny. What a gift. Privilege does not always mean $$. YOU are privileged and more importantly, you know that.

I would choose you to be in my circle even if you were not my child.

You fill me with joy.
Mom

  Diana Apr 9, 2007 12:49 PM

5

Alex,
You are such a good writer. I'm not sure if you are writing a book, but if not maybe you should think about it. I am so glad I found your site. Loving it and love ya, Aunt Missy

  missy moats Apr 9, 2007 2:23 PM

6

hey loser!! hope ur havin fun out where ever it is u r..well i love u n i miss u like crazi n u better stay outta fights..ha well meet any girls yet? have fun. love you cous!!! mal says hi

Macey

  macey moats Apr 11, 2007 10:33 AM

About mradventure


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.