Existing Member?

Melissa's Travels

Sometimes My Life Feels Like a Movie

ITALY | Tuesday, 7 June 2005 | Views [429]

The sunlight graces the staircase, exposing the true dirtied face of the stone. I smooth my hand over the dingy, marble step I sit perched upon, careful to keep my fingers safe from the swarms of tourists who are making their way up the stairs. I pinch my eyes closed and try to imagine how the bridge might have looked when it was first constructed. In my head, I envision the bridge that spans the Grand Canal of Venice before it became dirtied by the weather and flocks of hurried sightseers. It is gleaming, the exact way it had seemed to me only four days earlier when I stepped out from the train station into the blazing June sunlight, greeted by a symphony of scents and the melodic sounds of the Italian language.

I pull my eyes open, back to the reality of the less than perfect stone. Sighing, I lean against the marble railing and wrap my arm around one of the pillars. Maybe if I squeeze tight enough I will stop time and stay in this city forever. In front of my face, the Grand Canal stretches far out into the sea. Along the horizon I can see ships rocking in the sparkling blue waves, but peering at the water directly below the bridge reveals this to be another illusion of this city. Beneath me sits a sickly green bath, heavy with pollution. I raise my head and peer back out into the horizon. These sights feel much easier to digest and appreciate when they appear picturesque.

All too soon, my view is spoiled by the intrusion of fuzzy, black spots. I’ve been staring out into the sun for too long. I’m forced to look down into the LCD face of the watch encircling my wrist, time to head back to my room at the hostel. I slowly stand, smooth out my white cotton peasant skirt, and make my descent down the stairs. My walk back is deliberately slow. I want to make sure I breathe in and absorb every last minute of my time in this city. I also want to make sure I don’t miss out on any last minute shopping finds. One particular store window catches my eye. Dimly lit, it’s crowded by sinister wooden masks, reminiscent of Carnival. Unlike the brightly colored porcelain masks sold throughout the city, these are the hardened faces of animals stained with deep reds, blues and greens. The oxygen around me seems to lose its potency, my eyes are glued to the deep black pits in the wood representing the creature’s eyes. A shudder streaks down my back and my mind is instantly hijacked by the memory of my nightmare from the night before. The one laced with the disfigured faces of those I'm less than excited to greet back in Seattle. I couldn’t sleep after that dream. Not when tomorrow I will no longer be able to run away from these faces. I decided to get up and watch the sun rise instead. Let the glowing sky melt my fears, flood my mind with the mixing of peaches and pinks on the horizon.

Now, standing in front of that shop window my mind is a slave to this dream again. I turn and quickly continue my journey back home along the cobblestone streets. The unintelligible Italian conversations floating out of the cafes distract me momentarily. I will miss this vacation from English I’ve enjoyed so much over the past weeks. And I will miss the dark Italian gondoliers who fill this city in their striped T-shirts, vying for my attention. All promising me a ride on their particular gondola will forever change my life. If only their claims were true, I would buy a ride at once and never again fear returning home.

Back at the hostel, I drag my feet up the three flights of stairs, past the receptionist desk where a blooming bouquet of daisies sits. The flowers I bought as an apology gesture for two nights earlier. I’d realized too late after curfew that no amount of Italian wine was going to erase my concerns. When the bleary eyed, dark haired woman finally let me in the door at 3 a.m., she scolded me in broken English for waking her child. I am not looking forward to problems back in the states, but I am certainly no longer living in a welcoming environment here in Venice.

Arriving at my room, I collapse onto the bed, knowing full well that I need to start packing if I want to catch my bus in time. I want the blankets to swallow me up. If only I could stay and rest on the bed forever, away from the tribulations at home, away from the wrath of the embittered Italian woman at the front desk. Instead, I force myself over to my suitcase and begin gently folding my clothes, strategically cramming each camisole and skirt into the bag. With my suitcase zipped closed, I begin to notice music floating through the air of the room. I walk over to the window and discover it is the notes of a flutist playing in the courtyard below. People sit drinking their morning coffee, merchants sell wildly colored scarves, and tourists stream through the center of the open square, all set to the soundtrack of the flutist’s rendition of “Let it Be.”

I ease myself onto the bed and let the melody carry me off to happier memories from the past eight weeks. The blooming flowers of Giverny that inspired the infamous paintings of Monet, the sweet scent of the orange trees that lined the streets leading to the April Fair in Sevilla, and the natives rich with wisdom that I had met in shops, bars and cafes throughout the cities I visited. Despite my disheartening dream, I know that these vivid experiences and so many more have taught me for the first time what it means to be alive. I only hope that these memories and the photographic proof I’ve captured will help me navigate the seemingly hopeless waters that await me at home.

I shut the window, creating a much too abrupt ending for the song, but it’s time for me to go. I carefully lug my suitcase down the three flights of slippery stairs until I’ve reached the doorway. The sunlight floods in as I yank the door open and step out onto the stone courtyard. My sunglasses are lowered to shield my eyes and I suddenly notice that the song of flutist has changed…

“Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away. Now it looks as though they’re here to stay. Oh, I believe in yesterday.”

My mind is now swamped with more memories from my travels. Numerous gift shops throughout Europe had sold music boxes playing this infamous Beatles tune. It was a song I hummed to myself countless times over the past weeks.  Adopted as my trip theme song, it encompasses everything I have reflected upon and everything I have been running from.

There are now tears hidden behind my glasses, threatening to descend down my cheeks. I head towards the bus station, letting the notes fade into the background. Once again, there is Grand Canal and the bridge that spans across its banks. It stands before me naked, the imperfections completely obvious. Yet, the green waters and graying stones pronounce the character of the city and the numerous stories of the people who have enjoyed its sights and sounds. With “Yesterday,” stuck in my head, I feel acceptance slowly awakening within me. I see my own life paralleling this scene. Imperfections abound, but my life is rich with character and charm, and it is very much thanks to the dilemmas that await me on the other side of the ocean.

 

About missmelissa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.