Existing Member?

Sinead and Joey's Adventures This is the Adventure journal of Sinead and Joey, its purpose is to keep family and friends informed on our status in the world. We will be adding details and pictures when we get the chance, so feel free to check back and see where we are this week!

October 6-10

COSTA RICA | Saturday, 13 October 2007 | Views [471]

Saturday

Today is Joey and my 2 year anniversary. We had a lot of work to do in the morning though. I ordered produce for the first time since Robyn left. It was really difficult becuase i´m still having a hard time with spanish and I had to memorize a lot of the names of fruits and vegitables. It´s hard trying to figure out how many vegitables to buy for an entire week for 9 people, especially since i never really ate vegitables back in the states. After a lot of spanglish the Ranch had to be cleaned for the group, but no one really wanted to pitch in. It gets a little tense here now with Robyn and Timo gone. Some things just don´t get done. Joey, Greg, and Tom went on a mission into a small town to get sawdust for the composting toilets. Joey and Tom rode bikes back to town and they came back covered in mud. We were all pretty dirty by the end of the day so we all decided to go to the waterfal, pretty cold but very refreshing. The group of three women arrived right before dinner. They are three women from the university of Hawaii. Angila, the group leader, has been to the Ranch many time and she is really nice. We all played another game of King´s Cup and headed to the pulp-cantina. Lots of mirangue was danced, Joey is getting professional.

Sunday

A nice day off, Me and Joey were on dinner so we made Joey´s famous butternut squash tart. I cut my finger pretty badly so I don´t have to wash dishes for awhile, thats nice. Its hard to keep cuts from getting infected here because nothing ever really drys. The tart was amazing!

Monday 

Bread day. We made another huge batch of bread for the cob oven. The bagels here are amazing, but it is an all day task getting the oven and the bread ready. It was really cold and rainy so it ook a little longer than usual. I finished the materials list for the front entrance. With Tico time it might take awhile especially with all the rain. Hopefully before we leave though! We went on another night hike with Angilia. It was great, so many animals come out at night that you wouldn´t notice. We saw a huge Jesus lizard in a tree and more of the crazy cave dwelling spiders. They actually aren´t spiders we found out, they are scorpions. Saw our first snake as well, it was really small.

Tuesday

It hasn´t really stopped raining all day. We have measured 6 inches in one day. New record. It usually rains morning or afternoon. Nothing will dry!! but it doesn´t get much colder that 70. We worked a little on our shelves but had to work on Pizza night for the group´s last night. Pizza´s here are great because we bake them off in the cob oven. We have been eating really well all week.

Wednesday

We finished our shelves!!! It took us all day but we installed them behind the bed and they look great. We wish we could take them home but it´s cool leaving our mark. When we had finished we went straight to cooking dinner. Breadbowls and soup. Great combination on a rainy night.

Tags: Adventures

About millmanapalm


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.