Existing Member?

G on the go

Day 3 of the Great Ocean Roadtrip

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 1 December 2007 | Views [427]

The last day of our roadtrip felt like a mighty long day! We started off early again, not 6.30 am, but still a bit too early for this nightowl. The trip from Port Campbell to Geelong was a long long drive ahead still (6 hours to go). I was not feeling too brilliantly in the morning, because of my upcoming cold.

We got some breakfast at the supermarket, because I needed fluidlike food to nurture my aching throat. We started driving and after 20 minutes hit the twelve apostles. They were really as beautiful as all the postcards and brochures like to make you think, but the mosquitos were getting worse and worse. We were followed around by them, and trying to pose for a picture became a drama.

We also stopped along the road at Castle Rock, another beautiful lookout, and then finally got to Cape Otway. Zai decided that the entrance fee was too much for her, so she stayed in the car, but I went in, and had fun by myself. The lighthouse is one of the oldest in Australia, and was just a beautiful place, with an amazing view.

We continued on along the winding roads of the Great Ocean Road, both feeling queezy (Zai more than me), and finally made it to Geelong, which was a really confusing city, with bad traffic signs and complicated streets. It might also just have been because I was really tired and hungry and Zai was a lousy map reader! We ended up in an Irish pub for the night, and went for a long walk through the city, because even at ten it was still amazing weather outside.

It was an early night again (still sick), and we were lucky again to have a dorm to ourselves.

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.