Existing Member?

G on the go

Day 2 of the Great Ocean roadtrip

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 1 December 2007 | Views [492]

This morning was an early start (freaking 6.30 am!!), because of the young guy playing with his basketball, thinking he was Michael Jordan, against the wall of our cell. It had already been a short night, seeing that sleeping in a cell might be real cool, but is also just freezing cold!

The early start was good though, because we still had to drive at least 6 hours to get close to our end destination that day. After showering and having breakfast, we went off to see the Blue Lake. The Blue Lake fills up the crater, which used to be a volcano. The story goes that an Aboriginal had settled in Mount Gambier with his family, making an oven (the volcano) so that they could cook, but an evil spirit had scared them away and had filled the oven with water (the Blue Lake). In December the lake apparently goes bright blue, but the reason is not yet known. It was pretty to see, but not that exciting.

Our first stop of the day was in a small fisherstown, which we cannot remember the name of. It was either Port Fairy or Portland, but looked absolutely amazing and we fell in love with it instantly.

After some playing around and taking pictures we continued to drive to Warnambool where we stopped for a really long time, because this drowsy driver was exhausted from the early morning and the long drive.

After a powernap, a stroll around town and some food, we continued on to the stop for the day (during this drive I made my first roadkill, a small birdie that decided to fly into the wheels of our car!), a small, pitoresque town called Port Campbell.

Before we got there though, we had a shock of a lifetime. We were driving about, when all of teh sudden we saw something that looked like the Twelve Apostles. So we parked the car, me muttering how ridiculous it was that there were no signs to warn us that we were about to see the Twelve Apostles, only to find out that what we saw were the Bay of Islands (they were still beautiful though :D)

Port Campbel itself was a really nice little place, with a great hostel with soft beds. I was starting to feel sick, so after a quick dinner, we called it a day, and I pumped myself full off painkillers and went off to dreamland.

Tags: On the Road

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.