Existing Member?

Mighty's World Tour

Blog 13 - Leaving the 1st world

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 26 January 2017 | Views [388]

Sitting at everyone's favourite sandwich shop Pret in the beautiful and multi-cultural Terminal 4 at Heathrow with about 2.5 hours until we board our plane to Nairobi. Along with many many things we are unsure about leading into this next leg of the journey is the access to wifi in the mother-Africa so I figured best I post something for the fans and those forced to read this dribble.

Since I left you all we were in Portsmouth, which to both of our interest we found out was the launch spot for the D-Day attack on occupied France. I did promise myself and others that I too would launch myself into the English Channel for a winters swim but my bravery unsurprisingly deserted me at the 11th hour. For those that have seen on social media a day trip from Portsmouth also led me to an most embarrassing moment. Despite a lack of enthusiasm but with full encouragement Kate indulged me with a day trip to Stonehenge. An hours drive and £40 quid for tickets couldn't prepare me for one of the most disappointing things I have ever seem. Expecting to see the Maoi, I saw some rocks on a hill from a distance where it would have just been as spectacular if we drove up and looked at it from the road. It was only when I asked Kate where 'Stonehenge' was did I realise that I was about 8,392 miles away from where I thought I was going. Tail between my legs we headed home but to lift my spirits my wife knew Italian food would be required to heal this wound. Maddie now has some extra tour planning to do for our South America trip.

For the last part of the U.K. stop we headed up to Heathrow to drop the car off (full map of road trip in the link below) and picked a tired and little bit sick Amy up from the airport. Our last residence would be a perfect (if not a tiny bit under stocked) Airbnb in 'Elephant and Castle' which for tourism purposes is about as good as London gets. A pretty quiet night of Netflix and tacos ensured, all 3 of us having a well earned rest. This would be the last night of rest as the next 5 days were actioned packed. I would be able to go on forever but I figure the best way to remember this was as follows:

- Friday: the girls and I met up with Jack and did what we do best. We could have just as easily been back at Rimcross drive with a fire and heads-up in the back yard. We worked our way down the totem pole of bars until we hit the Sans of London (better known as rock bottom) and because we couldn't possibly have been full, hit up a 24 hour off-licence before a toilet accident had me standing on my phone cracking the screen and being put to bed. I may or may not have missed the bowl with my toilet paper, but the girls and Jack were easily convinced that it must of been him.
- Saturday: as can be imagined nothing was achieved here.
- Sunday: again a fairly relaxed day. Sun was out so I set off on a 2 hour round trip walk to Jubilee Gardens and for the first time enjoyed a beautiful spot in London on a stunning albeit cold day. That night we caught Jenn and Tom again for dinner and drinks. They are planning a trip to Australia soon so of course we lied to Tom (a big burly red-headed Pom) about drop-bears, snakes, spiders, the locals and how to order a pot. Great people those two and I hope life has us coming across them again.
- Monday: took me to food heaven at the Borough Market. I'm angry at everyone I know that this is the first I'd heard of it. It's like the Queen Vic Market with out the shitty merchandise and double the food stands. I would be extremely broke however if I knew about it earlier or lived near by. Cannot not tell people with any more conviction you need to eat here. Gastronomic orgasm. That night Kate and I saw our first ever West End play and what a ripper. I know not everyone has seen Book Of Mormon, and friends seeing it soon. Most of you will know my and Kate's rude, crude sometimes foul sense of humour - this play, especially act two was us.
- Tuesday: I couldn't resist another walk up to the market before a night of goodbyes. We have been so lucky to have friends meet us along the way and Amy is no different. I hope she has a ball the rest of her trip and we will see you soon in AB my dear. We cannot thank and have been made to feel more welcome than by the Sterland's. Lee and Jane are our new England mum and dad. Georgia is kind, smart and beautiful. Jack - for a bloke I was never going to speak to, you are my brother and I can't wait for the summer to do it all again. A flat and drunk train ride hit home how much I will miss these people.
- Wednesday: with our travel smarts growing, our back packs much lighter and Kate wearing her sneans and traveller shoes at the ready we left the comfort of our place for the great unknown in Kenya. We paid a visit to Churchill's bunker which was truly amazing and very enlightening about what seems to be a great English patriot. A tube down to Heathrow puts us back at the start of the blog.

We are nervous, we are excited. We are heading somewhere that is so out of this world for us. I know we are not the first two white people to travel to Africa, but this was the point of the trip. I hate cliches but I feel honestly this will change our lives. We will write and be in touch when we can, but we will also have our phones down and our eyes open as this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

So to the land of teenage pregnancy, the land of vaping, the land of under priced beer and over priced food, the land of grey, the land of some of the best people I have ever met and am lucky enough to call friends, the land of unexplained traffic jams, the land of the world's best public transport, the land of early winter nights and cosy sleep ins, the land of bible bashing hostels, the land of the bap, the land of beauty, the home to one of the best capital cities in the world, the land of Harry Potter and the land of Brexit - Kate and I salute and love you and will see you again real soon if a Hippo doesn't eat us. Kate and I are going to use the next 10 weeks to lose all the fat you made us put on.

Until next time - Mighty out (hooroo)

https://TrackMyTour.com/L4vXN 

 

About mighty10


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.