Existing Member?

Mighty's World Tour

Blog 12 - Portsmouth

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 18 January 2017 | Views [356]

Sat in our first ever 'Private Room' Airbnb in lovely Portsmouth waking up from my first afternoon nap in over a week. How I have missed them. While Kate wakes up and the best tv option is the Big Bang theory it's a great chance to catch up on where we have been. The fat little pug Kenco laying on me is making it a little hard to type but I'll do my best. Not normally a fan of these dogs buts he's so God damn cute. And we know a lot more about God now as you'll read below.

Side note - my new favourite show Rick Stein is now on so I'm even more distracted.

Side note - did you know (for those outside England) that you have to pay a licence to own a TV here? I told you they can fleece you for just about everything!

Fair to say a week of contrast.

To start with York. What a lovely town. History, culture, persecution of the Jews, lovely food and drink - all the stuff we already know about a country village in England yeah? What highlighted the 2 night stay in York was a booking mistake made by yours truly that was about as rookie as it gets. YHA Hostels have a place and serve a purpose, but housing a pretty normal travelling couple (married couple) is not one of them. This genius booked us in to an 8 bed dorm to save a bit of money. What I didn't realise was the discount also got us separate male / female only rooms and everything bar an actual sign told us that outside hand holding I better not touch my wife inappropriately. Men as old as my dear grandad snored, coughed and snorted their way through the night as well as he used to bless him. Wifi connection banned any type of interesting video alone in bed. Old mate 'Song' from China ate rice for breakfast and cereal for dinner of the sink like it was a troff. The arrival of an American Christian College tour group to the hostel with their turtle neck sporting professor and copy of the good book for all explained where we were at. The way he kept touching them gave me the chills and memories of 19 Kids and Counting. I've always said the only thing worse than an American is an educated American - but one with Jesus on their side is capable of taking over the world and all your oil. We found ourselves saying goodnight and heading to bed at 8pm because it was just easier than being in this really weird and almost scary common room environment. We tried an old English version of trivial persuit and Rule / DJ you'll be happy to know I sucked. York is lovely - just never stay in a YHA if you want to do anything other than read. It did give us a chance to do some Kenya and Tanzania planning which was a "blessing" in disguise :)

We needed a cleanse so we headed to Harrogate for a day. There we had our first experience in a Roman Bath House which was just lovely to feel some warmth and then we went to see La La Land. I did not think I would enjoy it but honestly it was a great movie and I recommend it highly.

As much as it was a pain not sleeping together and feeling a little uncomfortable, we knew this was only temporary and the main event of this road trip was upon us. For those I know who have had the pleasure of meeting Townmouse, Vanessa, Tony and Bekka none of this will come as a surprise to you. For those who haven't, this is four of the most genuine and beautiful people I have ever had the chance to meet. It's so funny that almost 10 years ago Tristan got his winter playing cricket abroad changed at the last minute, and we got to have this English connection in our lives. They are the most down to earth, hilarious, nationalistic, generous and lively people to be around. You will never laugh more in your life. I wish I could but in this forum cannot repeat 95% of what we talked about but Kate and I spent most of our time crying and gasping for air uncontrollably. Boys when we get a chance to talk I'll let you know the new gems I've picked up from the lads but need to keep this blog at least PG.

We spent the 4 nights based at Townmouse and Nessy's. Night one was just an amazing catch up and a beautiful home cooked meal and way too much booze. Tony dropped in for one and a few gags but left just before Chewie and I cracked open the scotch. Feeling dusty the next day Nessy cooked up a heart-starting breakfast before we set off for a stunning walk to the top of Malham Cove to look out across the Yorkshire Dales. It had taken 3 weeks but it snowed! And I mean snowed!!! The hills, roads, houses and landscape was covered in fluffy white snow. That's what we thought, but were told by our tour guides it was just a light sprinkling...rubbish. I have never seen anything like it and Kate and I were so happy. A few snowball fights and a very un-elegant snow angels were on the cards while we were looked at like we were proper dickheads. At the top of the Cove we could see forever. Truly remarkable. England's answer to a question never asked also happened to be there and would you believe it...our world Harry Potter tour continued as Malham Cove was home to some scenes from the Deathly Hallows - right where we were standing. Fair to say another nerd-gasm was had. After sliding our way back to the car on the now icy roads and steak pie and an Ale got us warmed up again for a few more brews so the Old White Bear was home for the evening.

After some of Nessy's cooking again we met up with Tony and finally Bekka and headed to sunny (rainy), colourful (grey), happy (very very sad) Manchester for the premier of her brother's movie Manchester Keeps On Dancing. The movie was very interesting about the dance culture in the city and its lengthy history, but drinking beers during a movie is not a great idea. Not sure we missed much, but our group of 6 took about 12 trips to the loo. What followed was one of the great sips of all time. Facebook comments were made and deleted. Pretty much everyone in the world copped a verbal barrage, we were the kings of our world and we drank way too much. Again I cannot repeat any of the conversation here but my goodness it was funny. The next morning we headed back to Crosshills after a feed. A nice walk to sober up around Bolton Abbey, a lovely brew at the beautiful Barbara and Rowdy Boy's house and a big dinner was followed up by several nightcaps - and then our fantastic 4 nights in Crosshills was over. We will be back in the summer, and we can't wait to see these guys again.

The next morning we made the uneventful drive to Portsmouth and were in bed by 7.30pm promising each other a very healthy 3 days before Kamy arrives and Jack and I booze it up again. A bit of sightseeing in the local area and we fund ourselves at the D-Day museum. It is amazing to me no matter how many times I go to a museum for WW2 I learn and am moved so much.

We are off to Stonehenge tomorrow and then Thursday the car gets dropped off, pick Amy up from Heathrow and then 6 nights in East London.

It has been an interesting and enlightening week. So much fun and so much love from beautiful people.

Until next time, Mighty out...

About mighty10


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.