Existing Member?

Year of the Pig Adventures Mick and Fi's adventures to share with family and friends

Santorini Squealers

GREECE | Friday, 7 September 2007 | Views [762]

Hey everyone- especially lovely Lister, Ravishing Ra and Gorgeous Grubbie,

We've been getting all your messages & having a laugh in various internet cafes around the place. You should see this internet cafe - far out, it's so savvy.  We are at the top of a white windmill with the blue frame windows overlooking the Santorini volcano. We're having a Heineken & a champers bought up specially for inspiration.

Dad & Kay are down in the town of Fira, Kay shopping again. The woman loves to shop. She has a list of souvenier pressies she wants to buy a mile long for everyone, including the postman. I've bought some moose glasses from Finland and some wicked Greek sandals I'm trashing over the cobblestones. They're awesome. My tan lines Ra are noice criss cross accordingly.

We took the 4 wheelers out (I've been corrected- NOT 3 wheelers) today and traversed the island starting up at Oia (north of Fira)and took 509 piccies of the quitessential Santorini streets & architecture. I'm not kidding, this place is so photographable you get RSI from constantly having your camera plastered to your face. Slide show at home coming up...ah you'll all love it. Kay was on the back of Dad's and Mick and I had another and we cruised the length of the island taking in the sublime blue sea contrasting with the volcanic land. One highlight was visiting the Greek Wine Museum. It was extremely kitsch with Russian style automated mannequins circa 1941 demonstrating wine crushing underfoot. Needless to say we were inspired enough to buy 2 bottles after a complimentary wine tasting of 3 different types that make your mouth look like a cat's bum.

....The Greek wine is bloody awful, but Kay and I came up with a compromise this arvie and instead of Sangria have created a taste sensation we like to call 'Santorinia'- a combination of all the white, rose and red local wine combined with vodka and fresh fruit. It would strip paint of walls but after a tumbler looking at our insane view...what the hey? We go to the markets & buy all our olives and fresh fruit & veg and amazing bread and make up picnics- but usually eat out of a nightime. We ate out at the most amazing restaurant last night called Vanilia (hey Kath!) which was fantastic. Mick continued his trend of eating furry animals and ordered the roast rabbit with hummus which was fairly noice. We've been eyeing off the donkeys around the island.

Tomorrow is our last day here and we plan to do such exciting domestic things such as return our beloved 4 wheeler, do laundry and packing before taking off to Folegandros. Folegandros only has 667 inhabitants compared to Santorini's crazy tourist melee. We're all looking forward to a smaller island as a change of pace. Santorini was voted Number 1 European tourist destination for last year and it shows. This is shoulder season (post high season of June/ July) and the place is still jumping. At least 3 enormous cruise ships are moored in the harbour below us belting Celine Dion hits out every night.....plus "I'm the KING of THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' at regular intervals.

I was feeling a bit homesick/ people sick last night and wished there was a way I could teletransport you all to be with us. But we are so lucky to be sharing this experience with the folks who love it more every day. Dad has taken to indulging in a Greek accent by putting on 'a' on the end of everything....'I go-a to the shops-a this morning-a'. If he keeps it up, we're threatening to 'smack-a' him one.

Love to you all, miss you, keep posting your messages.

Fi xxxx

Tags: Adventures

About mick-and-fi

Ah it's been nearly 3 years since we've been overseas...sob...SOON!

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.