Existing Member?

M/S Eventyr Bits and pieces from my life. Now with pictures!

A bit from everyday life on the road

DENMARK | Monday, 2 January 2012 | Views [372]

Hitchhiking is by now the normality for my and my everyday life. It takes some time to get used to this change and the changes in my behavior and norms it have brought with it. Of course everybody tells lie once in a while, but for my it is usually a necessity to create some kind of safety net. Apart from the possibility of being a new person every time I get into a new car with lies about occupation etc. I also have a very set couple of lies that I tell to protect myself. As previously mentioned I have had a wedding ring on for a couple of months. It really helps fighting of most guys. Ok a great many people don’t really care about that sort of thing (loyalty) but still I give an impression of strictly of limits and not interest in any kind of hanky-panky. Also I usually say that I am visiting friends wherever I am headed, which is only a very small lie as CouchSurfing is kind of visiting friends one haven’t met yet. Then people know that I am expected somewhere and will be missed fairly quick if they by crazy chance know the local human traffickers or have build their own secret basement under their tumbledown house. Sometimes I try to explain what CouchSurfing is but very rarely. The duration of my travels are seldom close to the five months that I have actually been on the road. Usually it is closer to a few weeks and the same amount left before going back home to my husband/boyfriend. I try not to make too big lies, so they are not to difficult to remember and they can’t offend to much.

On a more cheery note I have a funny story from Poland, onmy way home for christmas breakin Denmark: Two really cool and very buff guys picks me up, play appropriately loud music in the genres dance, techno and polish rap and generally acting like cool kids. Somewhere halfway the car starts stinking BAD, really really bad! The one guy immediately starts laughing and pointing to the driver. The driver of course responds by pointing back, but definitely loses the polish teasing, because his face went completely red and avoided eye contact with me for a long time after. I wish I had I picture of this guy because no description can do him or his shame right:)

 The last month or so I have been halfway bored put of my mind staying first two weeks in Githio, Greece and three weeks in Agios Nikolaus. Both places “working” through www.helpx.net, I worked respectively two hours a day in an animal shelter and a few days picking olives and other miscellaneous work. The first place made me crazy mostly because of the social limits and the “religious” hippies. Yes, hippies bother me at times! Something that really provokes me is people with a religious believe in their way of living, or anything else, as the only good one. And many people calling themselves hippies are very narrow minded when it comes to good, bad and the best way of living, despite the obvious contradiction in this.                                                          The second placed I mainly had itchy feet after staying in only two places for so long (ended up staying for five weeks in Greece), but also waking up every morning to a very depressing vegan Polish couple. They were very sweet and very harmless, but damn they depressed me. They both looked like coming straight from the gulags or a kz-camp; skinny, pale, eyes filled with sadness and a very pessimistic approach to life. And of course the religious belief that veganism is the only true way. And it was the sad veganism with grey and brownish food 90% of the time. No colours allowed - no fun! Furthermore I had a clash with the male part of the couple over something as stupid as… HUMMUS! Yes apparently grown people can get pissed off and slam doors because of hummus. To tell my side of the story short: I had taken some liberties regarding the hummus they made, by suggesting taking it with us to the lands for lunch and maybe also eating from the wrong bowl of hummus for dinner the previous day. Big mistake that I will never repeat J It got even more fun later same day when Erhard, our host, returned from a delicious lamp chop dinner in a near village and found a note on some food in the kitchen saying keep of or die in nicer words. The stupid part is that the Polish couple lived in a separate guesthouse with their own kitchen and everything, so anything they would like to keep to themselves could just have been stored there. I know that they did that with a lot of food most of the time, as they would raid the kitchen and then buy their own stuff leaving me with nothing. In the end I just had to escape. I felt like running away everyday, but didn’t want to abandon my host just before we actually had to do the olive harvest.

About mettesv

Eating chocolate and biscuits at a metro station in Bilbao, while we waited for our host

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.