Existing Member?

M/S Eventyr Bits and pieces from my life. Now with pictures!

Bit of this and bit of that

ROMANIA | Tuesday, 1 November 2011 | Views [301]

I left Subotica saturday for Timisoara, Romania, which is only around 200km. But it was not a good day. The short version is a few good rides to Szeged, Hungary where I make a crucial (wanted to use that word sooo bad:) decision: to get off at the on-ramp for the motorway instead of another road towards Romania. Nobody uses this road from Szeged so I end up walking 10 km, getting fined (20.000 HUF divide by 300 and you have Euro) for sleeping in places I'm apparently not aloud to be and not getting into Romania that day. This is the second time I get fined and both times in Hungary! Sunday morning I paid 10 Euro for a ride to Timisoara to be sure not to spend another day with the evil people from the service station.

In Timisoara the desperate search for accomodation started. I just wanted to stay in a hostel instead of sending lame last minute request on Couchsurfing (CS), but they were all occupied and lame CS-requests were send. Corina has taking me in and because of the waiting for my future travel partners let me stay until tomorrow. I was surprised by the amount of welcoming responses from people. Again proving my belife in the good nature of most people isn't to far from the reality. And it was a very desperate and sad request I send out.. By the way the city of Timisoara is very nice, but small. Sightseeing here is quick:)

Tomorrow, wednesday, my plan is to go to Cluj. There is seems to be some couchsurfers and a friend recommended the city. Depending on the Universe we'll see where I end up.

As a hitchhiker I have made some goals of different types of rides I want to experience. So far I have crossed a bus, a roadwork car, motorcycles, trucks, real campervans, regular cars, the police, and expensive cars off the list. On the list to come is boats, military vehicles, real luxury cars, agriculture machines, ambulances or another type of medical aid, firefighters, and maybe an airplane. I will probably not get all of them, but aiming high doesn't hurt:)

Also I'm trying to work out a general plan or a dogma for this adventure. So far the best is to visit all the European countries. But I can't figure out if the ones I have visited before this journey should count as seen or if I still have to go. And if just crossing over them again and again counts or not..

As written I'm now in Romania and I rally want to go to Transylvania. But then I hope to hurry away to somewhere warmer for the winter.

That's all for now, folks! Take care whereever you are

Tags: fined, timisoara

About mettesv

Eating chocolate and biscuits at a metro station in Bilbao, while we waited for our host

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Romania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.