Existing Member?

M/S Eventyr Bits and pieces from my life. Now with pictures!

Hitching to Sziget

HUNGARY | Wednesday, 17 August 2011 | Views [428]

Sorry for the waiting, but been around too many great people to be bother with writing in here.

So far my rides have been brilliant, except one! Going from Krakow to Budapest was surprisingly difficult, and it was raining almost all day. I don't mind the rain that much because of my umbrella, but it makes it harder to get rides.

Getting out of Krakow wasn't difficult, but from Rabka Zdroj and to the Slovakian border it felt impossible. I thought I had a ride to Chyzne along with to polish girls going to Serbia, but the guy put us off in Rabka (maybe because of the massive stau to the apparently also summer capital of Poland, Zakopane. The road split in to two, one for Zakopane with loads of cars and trucks, and one towards Slovakia with almost no traffic. After some time a man tells us to go a bit down the road because of the police, so I convince/force my partner to do so(at this point we split up in two groups: me and some guy going to Istanbul, and the two girls, and after a minute we get a ride from an old man to some village. The one good thing I can say about my partner is his polish. But it's not cool to turn away rides when it's pouring down and without asking your partner! After maybe a hour a walked away from an immediately got a ride to the next village, and the next, and to Slovakia. My first ride in Slovakia seemed pretty decent, but oh was I wrong! This middle aged man suggest a road with more traffic and I agrees. Stupid stupid me. After half an hour of driving on smaller and smaller roads I a) get super creeped out, and b) realise we are going east through the Tatra mountains to a road that, well it's bigger but most likely people are going another direction from there! I tell him my concerns and he just says that he already told me that it was east for a bit and through the mountains, which it he didn't. At this point we hardly met any cars, and we already driven for some time so I had pretty much no other choice than to stick with him. All conversion attempts stop because I'm so pissed of at this guy, and I just sit there and stare out of the window and on my map. In the end it took me two and half hour to get 50 km in and if would have taken maximum an hour including waiting. To make up for being an idiot he offered me food but I was already super late (5pm) and planned to be in Budapest by 6 pm, so I had to refuse. Immediately got a ride with three Dutch guys and a German girl in their Wunderbaum scented QuickFix to the Hungarian border. They were so funny and completely mental. 

The Sziget Festival was brilliant. Apparently Budapest or at least the Obudai island is a part of Holland! Almost everybody was dutch. Danish people KEEP AWAY from my festival - you have Roskilde. This one is mine!!

Sorry no time for Sziget, Krakow or other stories.

More later..

Tags: lost in slovakia

About mettesv

Eating chocolate and biscuits at a metro station in Bilbao, while we waited for our host

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.