Existing Member?

Hoi ta toi toi! Chip chip cheeerio! Merry Trentadue's all up in the UK ...watch out! Travel Journal Here we go again!

LAX-LHR - October 17, 2010, ticket booked. GULP!

USA | Tuesday, 19 October 2010 | Views [788] | Comments [2]

To-do list, part one. Scramble, scramble.

To-do list, part one. Scramble, scramble.

Well, here we go again!

Sunday morning, Oct 17th, I get an email asking if I care for a trip for a few weeks. With only a day to think about it, I decided to accept the job offer to fly me to the UK until Nov 15th. My first instinct was "no, bad timing, I have to focus on getting a job as a nurse."... but turning down an all expense paid trip abroad wasn't sitting well. I've been pretty down and have been really lonely here for a few months, so after going back a forth and much mental anguish, I told my boss to book my ticket. When I got my ticket confirmation, I hyperventilated, like full fledge anxiety attack. I called my best buddy Ellen who lives in New Zealand who talked me down and slapped some sense into me. Took a deep breathe, then made a "to-do" list.

It's only 4 weeks, I'll be earning money while I am there, and getting to see a part of the word I haven't seen yet! I'll be doing the same kind of thing I did in Australia in 2008...running around college campuses making lots of announcements to gigantic lecture halls, then running meetings every Thursday informing them of a volunteer travel program. It's with a close friend who is working for another volunteer/travel company, not with the same company I worked for before. 

On Oct 21st I'll fly to London from Lax. (10 hour flight, gag me) When I get there, I'll jump on a plane to Belfast, UK, northern IRELAND! I've ALWAYS wanted to go to Ireland! (I actually have an "Ireland for Dummies" book on my book shelf right now. I have no idea where it came from. I should probably open it.) Belfast is north Ireland, it's the UK... the whole separate countries from Ireland, but I have full intentions of exploring as much of Ireland as I can! Sadly, it probably wont be much...but still happy get to go! I'll be there for a week, then Back to London to work on 2 or 4 more Universities. I fly back to LAX on Nov 15th. Work is super intense Monday-Thursday/Friday, weekends off to explore and catch up with old travel buddies... as long as I have somewhere to sleep sorted out, and all of my printing done. 

One of the fun parts of this is, I'll get to see a bunch of my old travel buddies that I met in 2008 while back packing around Australia! Even one of my old friends that I lived with in Australia in 2001, back in my University of Western Australia days! If I had to name the best part of my job with ISV, it was definitely meeting the amazing friends on the road. I have 5 Irish Lads/travel buddies in Ireland right now, and another Canadian kinda Irish Lad who is living there now, so I hope to get to see some of them my first weekend there.

There is A LOT to get sorted out before I leave, as you can imagine, it's all very last minute. I do not own any winter clothes, and have also learned in my many visits to San Francisco, that I forgot how to function in "weather". It's a constant source of amusement when they pick me up in San Fran... giggling as they pull up to my terminal..."Merry, really? Again? A neon floral sun dress?". So, this will be a test of survival skills!

I dont know where I'm staying, or how I'm getting around, but I guess that's the fun part. There are very few times in life when you can actually jet away for a month to foreign countries... not to mention a free trip, while getting paid! I am a bit terrified, but I think it's good for me. I need to get lots of printing done before I go, and still don't have the files...so I guess some things don't change. (ha). A tiny bit stressed, but I'm sure It'll be fine. 

I'll try to update this as much as I can. Feel free to check this link to read new stories. I should be able to post photos up here while on the road. **(Dont get confused, You can see my old travel journal/photos from 2008- ISV Australia recruiting, and backpacking on this site too. I tried to make a whole new one, but I just added a New trip instead. Those all have a 2008 date, and are about Aussie, so I'm sure you can figure it out).

Off to my to-do list! This was not on the list, I think I'll add it so I can cross it off.

Deep breathes. 

xoxo

merry

 

Comments

1

the amazing part is that to do list was written on the back of a napkin. good luck Mer! we love you!

  Paul Oct 19, 2010 11:51 PM

2

Haha, no its not.

  merry Oct 20, 2010 1:40 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.