Existing Member?

Hoi ta toi toi! Chip chip cheeerio! Merry Trentadue's all up in the UK ...watch out! Travel Journal Here we go again!

$80 a night...

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 13 April 2008 | Views [541]

Sunday - April 13th, 10:30pm.

One of the challenging things about this job is we only get $80 a night for accomodation... and you can't book ahead of time b/c you dont know where you have to be. So this morning me and liz planned a day of hiking in a forest that's about an hour out of the city called the Danendongs. (or something). Brad took off to to go check out the great ocean road... so i had to find accomodations for the week. We're at LaTrobe Uni this week, wich is in Bundoora. (a suburb about 30 mins outside of the city). So i call a few places, and they can't work with our budget. Then one says yes! it takes a lot of convincing, but she finally agrees to $80 a night. Brad gets back from his road trip, and me and liz get back from hiking...but Brad stays downtown to go to a concert. So i have to drive out here by myself. the callenge with driving on the left side of the road only seems to be curbs. Sitting on the other side of the car seems to mean, i have NO IDEA how close i am to the left curb. I find the hotel no problem, wich is a huge accomplishment considering streets and highways aren't well marked, or marked at all here. I go to check in, and the people have me down for $100 a night. I tell him that's not right, so he calls the lady that booked my room, and she's yelling on the phone to me calling me aliar. GREAT. So,i have to drive around looking for somewhere to stay. I asked he guy if there was another motel around, he said the closet was 10mins away, but they'd never be able to help me, becuase they are the cheaped, and the best western one is way more. So I call a few more places that i had writen down, and they can't help me. The best anyone can do is $100. SO i decide to go to the one the guy told me would never help me. Its calls the mill park motor inn - best western. It's a 4star hotel, $145 a night. GREAT. SO i go in, give her my sob story... and to my luck, she had a room with 2 beds and she gave me the price!!! she said she didn't like how the people in the other hotle went back on their word...and jesus will bless her for helping me. or something. It's the nicest room i've stayed in yet! AND... i have wirless internet in the room for the week, for the low price of $15! SWEEET!!!! don't get the wrong idea, it's really not an amazing room... but it's the best so far. This past weekend, we all stayed in this hostle where the walls didn't even go all the way up the the celeing. so you could literally here everything everyone on the entire floor was saying. Me and Liz called it "cubicle hostle". They might as well of just hung sheets up to separate the rooms. ha. So this room feels like MTV cribs to me right now.

This uni we are on this week has massive lecture halls, so hopefully i'll get lots of sign ups, and lots of people to the meeting on thursday. Shona is giving everyone a $100 bonus if you get more than 700 sign ups in a week. At Uni of Melbourne, I got 722 on Monday... so shouldn't be too hard.

Ok - excited to go to sleep. My goal i to get some photos up this week so you guys can see some of the things I'm doing!

thanks for the emails - keep them coming.

love

merry

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.