Existing Member?

Running away from Home

Late Night Arrival at Hua Hin

THAILAND | Tuesday, 26 January 2010 | Views [465]

Hua Hin Jan 26, 2010 12:45AM

Well, here I am in Hua Hin. It’s after midnight and most places are locked up tight. I have already checked five guesthouses and they are all full. A woman on a scooter gave me a ride to the first guesthouse because she said that the neighborhood was not safe for me to be wandering around. My search for a vacant room has led me back to very spot where she gave me a lift. I know that I am near the docks because I can hear the ocean. I’m starting to get nervous. Despite what the woman said, I don’t feel threatened by the people as much as I do the dogs. However, I have managed to make one precious memory here in the past 20 minutes and that was making an attractive Thai crossdresser on a motorbike do a double take when I passed by with my huge pack.

I am thinking of my options at this point. Do I head to the train station and try to catch an early train out of here, or do I jump into the nearest cab and head to the Hilton and pay a ridiculous amount for a few hours sleep? There is one more hotel up ahead and it looks a bit dodgy, but the sign on the desk says rooms available for 650 Baht. When I rouse the desk clerk from her slumber she confirms the advertisement and shows me the room. The mold in the bathroom looks a little sinister, but it should be okay for one night. I hand over the 650, go to my room, kick on the air-con, brush my teeth, say my prayers, and go to bed.

About melissa_k


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.