Existing Member?

Safari Sisters “I do not want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.” — Diane Ackerman

Crossing the desert

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 27 October 2016 | Views [325]

So after leaving our camp site and being thankful we don't have to use our tents again for a few nights, we set off in our trusty truck...road runner...who makes a 'beep beep' sound everytime you open or lock the doors, we made the drive across Etosha pan. What a dry and desolate place it is...hardly any water, desert sand and hot...apparently hunting killed all the animals out in the early 1900s...but mid to late 1900s they started to bring the animals back in....poor bloody things...they would have been better off wherever they were before here! Lots of wildlfe though...Oryx (or Gemsbok) everywhere, Girrafe, Elephants, Ostrich, Springboks, Wilderbeast....apparently Lions but they were very shy and loads of birds... (we have become twitchers). The poor elephants were dusty grey instead of there normal dark grey colour due to all the dust and sand. It was a great drive until we got to the other side of the National park and tried to get out only to be told by the 'lovely' police woman that we had not paid our park fees and she was sending us back - 'you don't get to see the animals for free, I send you back!'. So after driving back to pay our fees we finally arrived at Okutala sanctuary...it was beautiful with a resturant and pool overlooking the waterhole but a bit more like a zoo...animals are completely safe...the prdators are in a differnt part of the park and segregated, they are fed, watered and very happy...made us feel bad for the poor animals in Etosha pan desert! Meki got to see her beloved cats up close and personal, Kepi and Lala enjoyed the amazing game food including Kudu kebabs and Oryx stroganoff and we all got to relax for a couple of days...

About mekikepilala


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.