Existing Member?

Safari Sisters “I do not want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.” — Diane Ackerman

Zambia to Namibia

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 13 October 2016 | Views [372] | Comments [1]

Leaving Zambia, we encountered one of the worst roads we have seen yet. Referring to it as a road is even being generous. Our awesome rally car driver Margaret got us through safely although average speed was about 20-30 klms an hour. We stopped along the roadside for a break and were inundated by local village people and children. We manged to overload some kangaroo key rings to the headman Charles but even more popular were the Polaroids and cigarettes....we then made it to the border where we successfully navigated our way through after being tested for Ebola, almost paying the Zambian road tax twice and potentially offered a bribe by a customs official. Our first night was spent at a lovely chalet by the river front and we were treated to fantastic food, drinks and hospitality by the local staff. We also learnt our first words of one of the many Namibian languages - bootie (hello how are you), ninja (the poliet reply) and bolatumeli (thank you). At night we went to sleep listening to the sounds of Cape buffalo chomping through the grasses by the river - just outside our rooms. The following morning we visited the curio shop and purchased ourselves some more goodies, which we will hopefully be able to smuggle back in to country on our return!

Comments

1

Nice to hear you are going well (even at a slow pace) love your updates, keep them coming!

  Tania Oct 17, 2016 1:52 PM

About mekikepilala


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.