Existing Member?

Safari Sisters “I do not want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.” — Diane Ackerman

On the banks of the Okavango

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 19 October 2016 | Views [378] | Comments [1]

We arrived at Ngepi camp and checked in to our beautiful open treehouse right on the banks of the Okavango! Best accommodation so far, got to sit out on our deck enjoying some sun downers while watching the hippos play and fight and appreciating the magnificent sunset. Went on a tour of the local village with our guide Gilbert who finished the visit by taking us to his family's home where we spied his two young nephews (Simon and Bad (short for the baddest one!)) kicking around a small ball made out of rolled up plastic bags and tape. It was the perfect place to give away one of the soccer balls we had taken with us. The two little fellas were beside themselves with delight, and I think uncle Gilbert was also just as excited, pointing out that he likes soccer too. Finished off our day by setting out on a boat on the river trying to catch the elusive tiger fish....after playing with our bait for an hour we left empty handed. Not that we minded as we got to see some more hippos and see one of the most beautiful sunsets any of us has seen. The pictures (which will come once we have decent wifi and some spare time) do not do it justice! Our last day saw us realising we had been sharing our accommodation with a rat and a bat...luckily we didn't find out until we were we leaving, then heading off on a game drive with our trusty guide Gilbert again, also joined by Godfrey where we saw Buffalo, Hippo, Elephants, Warthogs, Vultures and Maribu stalks eating something vaguely resembling some sort of brown antelope and spotted our firat Sable antelope. Finished our stay off with a lovely breakfast - with real coffee for Margaret - and if course the compulsory stop at the curio shop to pick up more crap we have no room for an don't really need! 

Comments

1

yeehaa, glad the boys loved the football!

  Tania Oct 20, 2016 4:51 PM

About mekikepilala


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.