Existing Member?

Myanmarwedding

One afternoon in Bangkok

THAILAND | Saturday, 7 July 2012 | Views [488]

Its 5pm local time and have just arisen from a delicious 4-5 hours leep back at the Convenient Hotel where I was, it seems so long ago.  What a good choice, although it took me two hours at the airport to realise that firstly the 'day room' is only available for those who have checked through departure which is ridiculous as the checkin counters open four hours before the flight as I was 9 hours prior, secondly the 'lounge' I was directed to does not permit the shutting of eyes and that was the whole point!

So I braved the 300m line of people with hotel pickups, good orienteer navigted to the precise location of last time and there was the chap from this hotel, so I arranged a quick bookin g and was here within 30 minutes.  The cost is 900 Bhat not 650 as was internet price, but hey the 'day room' was going to be 2400.  And I was going to pay it.

GForgot to say, the other night in Mandalay, after I'd written to you ad walked roudn the block nd and had two lots of pork satay on sticks from awee boy (that keyboard again) that I decided just to crash and eat in the hotel. Rest of the group were still out on their tour. 

the prices were so low I thought the dishes would only be side dishes so I ordered 3.  they were each full sized meals.  And, a 'honey ad fresh lime with soda water' mmmm.

Soon they wer eback, the boys just buzzing with what they had seen, the excitement of school kids - here, sit down and share some of this I've ordered too much - they were quick to chat and eat. They had gone up Mandalay hill to view the sunset and the crowds of people were unepxected.  Their delight was that they had seen the actor JAckie Chan - the crowd puller. 

Even the monks on the hill had ignored the sunset.  I think all boys are kung fu fighter movie action heroes at heart. 

So next morning round these temples and palaces in Mandalay, respect and decorum went out the window!  They were action movie heroes on location!  We have some cracker action shots about one for every 99 dud shots.

Oh boym, then we saw Jackie Chan's private jet at the airport and it was like 1D fans, all over again.   By this time you can imagine we are a very close group with shared experiences and all indulging in feeling well.

The flight to Yangon as I mentioned exceedingly hot and stuffy in the cabin.  We touched down at Bagan, it was 37 degrees, but only 32 at Yangon.

Last night it was all systems go, I had no time to write again as we were off to Shein's house for final dinner.   It was a sumptuous feast, with his wider family and lots of laughter. 

My hotyel pickup back to bangkok airport leaves about now, I am much more refreshed having been awake since about 3am and at the first airport at 5.30am.  Its 5.15pm I fly on Qantas bird 9pm and arrive 9 hours later in Sydney 9am Syd time.

Thanks for leaving the comment about the 4.8, appreciate knowing that you have been able to read this.

See you soon. MM

About meanieb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.