Existing Member?

Myanmarwedding

The Royal Wedding had nothing on this!

MYANMAR | Sunday, 1 July 2012 | Views [529]

Roll over Prince William and Kate. The wedding of the century was actually in Yangon. 

Again I don't have the words.  Thanks for all your three comments I do appreciate them as so very different here, I wonder if Nana felt quite isolated. Great the orchids are fine and I guess you have the same number of birds as yesterday.  Nah you won't find the golden balls on the net, but just wait and see.

I have about 10 mins till we are all off again for the banquet, as if the incrediable expeirence of earlier today was not enough.  You should have seen us beautiful girls, absolutely stunning, here in the foyer of the hotel, waiting for our glamourous young gents - we seriously over awed the backpacker types here, and an elderly English couple were very taken with us, we had to pose.   That was nothingto the sights that we then took images of at the traditional wedding cveremony.

The active participantsin the ceremony included government ministers, heads of government departments, heads of university departments, you get the picture.  (The titles all announced inBurmese and English) We the foreign friends were also 'VIPs' - the tables said so and we were on display near the front,- I was SO PROUD of my Uni Hall 'kids' and how they have grown up and glammed up over the years and made such stunning and wellmannered participants at this somewhat over-awing ceremony.

Ko Shei and Pipi were in the traditionaldress of their ethnic group, but a designer gown for her and uncountable thousands worth of jewellery.  Oh the whole thing was just out of this world, well out of our world.

I tookpictures just of some of the other guests, the ladies so elegant.   Then it happened to me - as we were leaving,oneof the many most exquisite hotel girls ushered me to her friends and asked if I would pose with her - I think they had dared her cos the giggling was widespread.   Actually I wanted to 'make business' ie find a bathroom so she was then delighted to take me,so I hookend arm inarm to the futrther delight of the staff.

All this good humour and everyone having alovely time.  Not adrop of alcohol to be had, and I was wondering,well all theseguests are the winners in society as it is.  Ko Shei and his radiant new wife were just a picture,amazing,I can't tell it in words on a page.

Tomorrow did I mention a 4amdeparture and flight to Bagan.  Not sure what'scoming next or when you will hear fromme.  K: glad you got home ok, and did you got o school on Friday, hope you haven't worked too many hours this weekend.  COr Sue will have run her australian half-marathon by now,I was thinking of her.

love,xxmeanie b

About meanieb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.