Existing Member?

Myanmarwedding

Reprise of the authentic adventure

MYANMAR | Tuesday, 3 July 2012 | Views [523]

After a spit and a rest I will attempt to re-type the tale of my special morning.  The original story appears to have only the map at the bottom, though it took me just under an hour to type.

BTW Missy I have bought you a can of drink called Rocker.  If you can drink it, it will give you wings, and you will be able to catch birds as well as score goals.

After arrangements at breakfast, those the rest of the party who were able to leave their bathrooms went off for their planned day with a tour guide. I hired a personal guide and driver for $US60, about $NX 90, in a toyota carolla.

AS we drove north 15km to the area where the Allies landed after crossing the Ayeyewadi river (well many of them crossed there), I was able to stop where I fancied.

So after discussing irrigation we stopped at what I thought were lunch rest shacks for the irrigation workers, but they live there.   Guide Naw told me about palm trees and I could see how they use the trunk, small branches and leaves for their houses.  The entire house built of this tree.  He said living under palm leaves is cooler than living under other leaves.  It would still be bloody stinking hot I thought.  Its 35-37 degrees again today and terribly arid.

STopped again to visit an elderly man resting his two bullocks after ploughing a strip of land to plant beans.  HIs strip maybe 20m x 100m and near us women were crouching weeding peanut plants.  I went to pat the bullocks and all hell broke loose.  Never have three men run at me so fast.  The animals didn't like the smell of this foreign woman.  They backed off with horns lowered.  Quietened by their master, one then posed with him for me.

His plough/cart is entirely wooden apart from metal wheel rims.  The front is carved like a chinthi and he showed me how it all fits together when the animals are harnessed.  WE soon saw many of these ploughs with two animals yoked.  We were the only car on the road, though there were some scooters.

WE pulled off into a dirt track and asked two old ladies for directions, they had been cutting stalks and leaves to make a tea. Soon at a very modest Monastery, complete with MOnk and about half a dozen men, we were greeted cagily. The guide looked unsure of matters and later said he was.  Sorry toilet stop coming

About meanieb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.