Existing Member?

Myanmarwedding

Japanese ghosts

MYANMAR | Tuesday, 3 July 2012 | Views [593]

Homebound still, my guide asked and we once again headed off up a dirt track.

We were in another village where Japanese troops had lived while awaiting the Allies to cross the Ayeyewadi.  They built an earth bank about 5m high, which we climbed, and tucked behind it was a two story house where they lived.  It is in decay but clearly not the local style.

We went looking for some Japanese graves, through thorny plants that scratched our lower legs, the place is clearly not well visited. We found just a GPS marker and 'site 218' plaque.

I was really feeling the dry heat, and it was almost midday.  I had asked to not go to our other sites but just go to a bank to change money then to the hotel.  It became evident I needed to cancel the bank and head for my bathroom. I didn't make it.  I watered the garden of this beautiful resort from the top tank.

After resting a couple of hours, I've walked into New Bagan, to change money.  The hotel staff drew on my map, and when I asked a couple of say 10yo girls, they took me right, not left.  What am I getting in for?  They took me to the back of some kind of shop.  I actually got a better rate of exchange there than from the hotel in Yangon, 42,000 kyats for US$50.

Feeling a little better and having bought a sweet orange juice in a can and the rocket fuel for Missy, I then went into a clearly local shop, and bought a lovely longhyi set (top and skirt) for 11,000, very roughly $17.

The rest of the tour party have come and gone, us sickies are still resting, its 6.45pm and the bathroom calls.  I'm ploughing through the rehydrate sachets we bought at Hornby mall, and the miso packets.  Tomorrow we are on the bus at 6am for the flight to Mandalay.

I'll be disappointed if that long story didn't save.

Thinking of y'all - and hi to all the other randoms reading this.

About meanieb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.