Existing Member?

The places I go... Highlights, snidbits, monologues, fables, parables and other fabrications of a travelers' adventures near and far.

Back on the Road quickly to the End of the Road

USA | Monday, 19 September 2011 | Views [359]

We made it to HOMER! This is doubly exciting because that means Shannon's VW is fixed up and rolling along again. No longer are we stuck in Soldotna waiting for an axle, finally we are back on the road; waiting to uncover the next mini-adventure. Unfortunately, it was not far from Soldotna that our road trip came to a geographical climax. Homer is essentially the end of the road; land's end. From here we have to turn around and head home. Or you could say, from here we will turn around and do it all over again! It is not to say that our route will be a repeat on the way back south, but from here, each days drive will bring us closer to the lower 48. 

Homer is a beautiful town spread out along Kachemak Bay on the south western end of the Kenai peninsula. It is raining steadily today so there has not been much exploring thus far. But yesterday was a beautiful sunny day and we enjoyed a Bar-B-Que at a friend of a friends house. The view from Ray's place is stunning; up on the hill out of town a little it overlooks much of Kachemak Bay, the Homer Spit and the mountains and glaciers across the bay. Simply beautiful.

A few firsts happened at this shindig:

1. I tasted Black Cod / Sablefish for the first time.

This is my new favorite fish to eat and it even might make the top of the list for all seafood (I would have to have a side by side by side comparison with Maine Lobster and Duxbury Island Creek Oysters before I could make a final judgement). The meat is just fantastic; so buttery, high oil content, it just melts in your mouth with flavor.

2. I was stung by a bee for the first time since my Baja attack (see near misses blog).

The sting was on my left shoulder. It hurt a ton, way more than I ever remember any bee sting. That was probably just my mind focusing on it since I was not sure how my body would react after the previous episode. A small welt formed about the size of a dime and the skin tissue was red for an inch around the welt. I was worried I could react much worse, but that was all. I think it is safe to say I am still NOT allergic to bee stings, for now.

Tags: bees, fish, homer, kachemak bay

 

About mdcamps

Heading North!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.