Existing Member?

The places I go... Highlights, snidbits, monologues, fables, parables and other fabrications of a travelers' adventures near and far.

Last Days

INDIA | Monday, 11 October 2010 | Views [317]

I made it to my final travel destination, Delhi. Tomorrow I will go exploring the city, shopping and crying because my trip is over. Actually there probably will not be any tears, but it is sad to see the journey come to an end. 


Today in Delhi I visited Humayun's Tomb which is similar in design to the Taj Mahal with red sandstone instead of white marble. It was really nice at the Tomb. There were not too many tourists and other visitors. There were no beggars and touts. I was not hassled once. Everyone warned me about Delhi, its loud, annoying and not a nice place to stay; avoid staying there for any longer than necessary. So far I disagree, I have had a pleasant experience in Delhi thus far.

The funniest thing from Delhi, and you easily could be extremely pissed off by this, but laughing is the much better route; the Metro. I thought the trains in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur were bad for unloading, as everyone lines up in front of the doorway making passage off the train difficult. And by know I am also well aware of, and someone comfortable with the total disregard for personal space in India. But the metro amplified both of those experiences 10 fold. The bell rings, the doors open on the right, and whooosh. A hundred people are trying to get onto the train immediately, no time no space for anyone to get off. It is essentially a impenetrable wall of people no one can get on or off. A girls' voice insists, 'let me off.' Being 15cm taller and 10kg heavier than most Indians; coupled with the fact that I was riding the Metro with all of my belongings; a 15kg big backpack on my back, plus my day backpack worn forwards, I just started walking. People were practically falling backwards, but a pathway opened and I smiled.

See everyone back in the States!

Tags: this is the end

 

About mdcamps

Heading North!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.