Existing Member?

The places I go... Highlights, snidbits, monologues, fables, parables and other fabrications of a travelers' adventures near and far.

Island Isolation

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 19 August 2010 | Views [290]

It has been a full month now since leaving San Francisco. I spent the last two nights on Pulau Tioman off the south east coast of peninsular Malaysia. All I have to say are remote beaches on a jungle island are awesome. Seriously the island could have been the set for LOST! And I felt like I was Indian Jones when I trekked 7km across the island to Juara beach on the east side. However, relaxing on these beaches is not incredible when visiting them solo. Maybe if I was escaping a stressful life situation or something it would been more. But sitting on a beach and reading a book was never really my thing to begin with. Not to mention it rained every day; one day with a morning and evening 30min rain and the other day of a consistent soft rain. Beside that, if on a beach I rather be surfing, playing beach volleyball, beach boccie, grilling or corn-holing. None of those activities are possible by yourself (well the surfing and grilling, but there was no surf and I had no grill). And to add to it, everyone else on the island was a couple enjoying a romantic retreat. I guess I am saying I miss all my family and friends. But this is not a story for pity or sympathy. I am having a great trip, a truly unique experience. I am still glad I made it to the island for the trekking I did. I went on a sunset hike the first night, south from Paya to Genting. Had myself a sunset swim and returned by headlamp. The next day I trekked from Paya to Tekek then inland through the jungle to Juara on the other side of the island. Great scenery and animals; monkeys, large lizards, huge snails and squirrels. I also watch a local go swimming with his monkey. No that is not some perverted activity, he literally had a pet monkey on a chain and they went for a swim together. The monkey loved to crawl up the mans back and launch himself off his head into the water. It looked like a lot of fun. 

 

About mdcamps

Heading North!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.