Existing Member?

Jumping off

1st week of Brazil

BRAZIL | Saturday, 12 December 2015 | Views [269]

It's been 1 week today since I left the comfort of California and loved ones. It's been a pretty interesting back and forth going on in my head. During the day time I've been extremely engages, social, and excited for the rest of my journey. Unfortunately as the sun goes down, all the fears, insecurities, and realities start coming to the surface. Although surrounded by a beautiful women, great hostel mates, and an endless playground to explore, I still have this strange feeling of loneliness. A feeling that no one here really sees me for me. A feeling that is both uncomfortable and liberating. I get to be anyone, but what about all the relationships I've worked so hard on building? I'm rationalizing all of this by constantly staying aware of how I feel. Trying really hard to be a victim to these lower emotions. Trying to accept these feeling, and let them freely flow through me, rather than harbor the tension that comes with such insecure thought. Overall though, this feeling is something that I anticipated, and is probably the reason don't do a trip like this in the first place. This too shall pass.

 

The hostel I'm working at is nice. I can't help but feel I got a bit jipped though. I was told 5 days a week 5 hours a day for free breakfast and a bed. It wasn't until I arrived that I was told I'd be working 4 days a week, 8 hours a day. It's quite a lot of time for a hostel that costs roughly $12 to stay a night. I'm trying to look beyond the time to money ratio though. That's not what this trip is about. On the contrary, this is only about experience, and has nothing to do with money. I've already sacrifices so much time to get here, and I will not fall victim to old habits monetary conservation.

 

The people of Brazil are a very different breed. Everyone is much more for open. Physical space between people is not a concern for these people. So many of them seem to be so comfortable in their bodies. The other night I went over to a Brazilian friends place and his roommate was just walking around naked. Not an ounce of concern swelled inside that beautifully bronzed body.

 

This is all I have for the time being, I work night shift tonight at the hostel- 10pm- 6am.... It not as bad as it seems. There are people around to drink and talk with while I tend the reception area of the hostel.

 

Tags: brazil, hostel, start

About mcbaci


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.