Existing Member?

i forgot my... Check Out My Trip to Tanzania

Tanzania Week 5

TANZANIA | Saturday, 23 June 2007 | Views [316] | Comments [4]

Another week of walking and teaching. Our village teaching group met and taught to some of the village leaders this week which was interesting to say the least. It took place in a church and before we started they had the choir sing for us and the pastor even prayed for a second. Of course my topic was sexual transmission. I am thinking the whole time before I go up to teach; sexual transmission in a church, sexual transmission in a church, sexual transmission in a church in Tanzania in a religious village, ok yes sexual transmission in a church. The village is sometimes difficult to talk to because they are very religious and sensitive and some people are making it difficult for our entire group to teach people how to protect themselves. On Wednesday my teaching partner/translator and I had another teaching with some sub-village leaders and only five out of twenty five showed up (only an hour late). They wanted to know if we would teach to five people and at this point I am thinking I will teach to a baby and a dog before I walk an hour home after not telling anyone something about HIV and how to reduce transmission. Three weeks left in the program. Next weekend there is another long weekend in which some people are going rafting in Uganda, some going to the island Zanzibar, and some others including myself who have no plans. We may have the option of getting over to the coast and camping on the beach. I really miss mexican food and supposedly a new restaurant opened in Arusha that has Mexican. I am holding on strong though, I do not want to put my body through poor quality mexican food, I would rather wait it out until I get home. I am still always dirty, but at lest someone at my homestay did some of my laundry this week. In Swahili they pretty much said "No, Matt you don't do laundry."

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Matt- I'm so glad I looked up your website. What great adventures you're having. Gene and I went to Havasupai a few weeks ago and your pictures remind me that smart people find beautiful places. That picture of Kilamanjaro is awesome. I'm jealous and appreciative of what you're doing. I'll pray that your info is received with open hearts and minds. You're not only helping prevent HIV but also other STDs and probably to some extent other communicable diseases as well(ignorance being the most dangerous). You stay safe now and enjoy your time there. Hope to see you in Friday class. There's a new raku kiln waiting for us to use. Aloha~joy

  Joy Hughes Jun 24, 2007 4:19 AM

2

Hi again Matt,
I hope you get out a bit more. You sound so bored NOT!!
Tucson will be around 110 degrees for at least the next week, probably more but I'm not writing a weather report, just giving you one more reason to enjoy where you are. I hope you'll get to see work of local craftsmen and women. It'll be interesting to see how you're work is influenced when you return.

Your mission is important Keep up the work and enjoy all you see.

Stuart

  Stuart Goldberg Jun 24, 2007 3:53 PM

3

Yes, it is very hot here right now. Sounds like you might be sweating off some weight over there. Keep up the good work, in a church or wherever. Your presence there makes a difference even if you only have five. Thanks for writing so we can keep up with some of your experiences.

  Mom Jun 29, 2007 12:09 AM

4

Matt,
I am really enjoying your blog. Keep up the good work. It doesn't matter if you are only talking to 5 people because those people will tell others. We miss you and can't wait to see you in class.

Helen Moffett

  Helen Moffett Jun 30, 2007 6:54 AM

About mbaum


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.