Existing Member?

i forgot my... Check Out My Trip to Tanzania

Tanzania Week 6

TANZANIA | Sunday, 1 July 2007 | Views [524] | Comments [4]

Our program only has two weeks left. For the first four weeks of teaching we were mostly focusing on HIV education to schools in the area with a few community group teachings. For the next two weeks we will be teaching more to community groups and also beginning to train certain students at each school about HIV education. The goal of this part of the program is to begin a group/club/something at each school so that learning about HIV can be an ongoing process. When we leave the villages in two weeks the schools and groups will have contact information for people they can contact that work for our organization if they have any other questions or needs. Our village is also offering a free testing day next sunday, which we are working hard to promote. This past week was again filled with frustration. The oldest group of kids that I teach to (also my favorite group because they grasp everything that we talk about) did not show up because somebody failed to inform us that they were testing last week. This upsomming week their school is on break, but we are hoping to round some of them up to finish what we have to teach and to begin the process of developing HIV education at their school. My teaching partner and I also ran into problems when teaching a group of mothers at a clinic on wednesday. They started trickling into the teaching about an hour late. They also decided that ten minutes before we finished teaching it was time to weigh their babies in front of us so the rest of the mothers could not see. All in all the teachings are fairly effective for the circumstances (religious village, foreigner teaching, etc.), but somehow the most memorable teachings are those that go wrong. There are many effective teachings each week, but the majority of those are when the audience is school kids. The final two weeks should be good for me to see the wrapping up of all the work that all the volunteers have put into their respective villages. We had a long weekend this week and I took a trip to a beach north of Pagani with some other volunteers and coordinators. It was nice to take a break and get some sun because it has been cold in the villages. Only complaints are my feet are sunburnt and I think I have athletes foot. I will be staying in my homestay next weekend so the next time I can write is in two weeks after the program has finished. Thank you for following along.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

It is good to hear about your adventures this past week. It sounds like your group has made some inroads into the communities regarding AIDS education despite frustrations and interruptions. I am happy to hear you had some time away and I'll bet it was good to be at the beach. What unbelievable memories you are building.
See you soon!

  Mom Jul 2, 2007 11:38 AM

2

Hi Matt, I ditto everything your mom said above. The catalogue for the next semester at Randolph will be published July 23rd. I think registration is the following week but you'll have close to a month after that before Fall classes begin.
hope you can join us,

Stuart

  Stuart Goldberg Jul 5, 2007 4:04 PM

3

Glad to see that you are doing so well. The work you are doing is so important. We are looking forward to seeing you in class and we will all want to hear your stories.

Best wishes--stay safe.

Helen Moffett
PS: I know where you can get some great green corn tamales--yum, Mexican food!

  Helen Moffett Jul 12, 2007 4:03 AM

4

It is coming to a close by now; congratulations on sticking to it. Can't wait to see you!!!

  Mom Jul 13, 2007 2:09 AM

About mbaum


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.