Existing Member?

i forgot my... Check Out My Trip to Tanzania

Tanzania Week 4

TANZANIA | Sunday, 17 June 2007 | Views [313] | Comments [4]

This has been the first full week of teaching. All we do is teach, walk, eat and sleep. On wednesday we taught a group of mother's at my homestay house and this was my favorite teaching so far. It is nice to know that they understand everything that you are saying and that they will remember the important information regarding HIV transmission and prevention. They are coming back next week for more teachings. The school kids are fun to teach and are usually enthusiastic, but the lower levels are too young to grasp very much information and we realized that the lowest two grades that we have been teaching either do not know how to read or can only make out some of the information we put on the board. Our group had a meeting with all the village leaders on monday to schedule some teachings for the upcomming week and to also establish a teasting day in which we will provide free counseling and HIV testing to all that will show up. The village leaders' meeting was four and a half hours and we only scheduled a few community teachings. They asked a ton of questions and some of us are wondering why there is so much resistance to some of the material. Everyone is working very hard and we had a much deserved break this weekend. All the volunteers took a two day safari to Lake Manyara and the Ngronongoro Crater. We saw elephants, giraffes, zebras, wildabeast, buffalo, warthogs, hyenas, lions, hippos and some others. It was very fun, but of course back to work. Another busy week of teachings are ahead of us and now we have four schools, a group of mother's and community groups to teach this week only among four volunteers and three teaching partners/translators. Check out the pictures.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

What a great overview of your week. I must say I would love to see a giraffe and a lion best. Glad your camera battery held up! Keep up the good work; you are halfway there!

  Mom Jun 18, 2007 12:16 AM

2

Matt:
We've been watching you... We are sharing your adventures in Friday night class. What a fantastic thing you are doing. You will never be the same after this. Traveling to other countries really broadens your perspective about the rest of the world. You become more globally minded..at least that's how it was for our oldest daughter. It's good to see your face. You are really doing something important that can make a difference in someone's life. Take care and make the most of this.
Helen Moffett

  Helen Moffett Jun 19, 2007 6:00 AM

3

Matt-
Loved the story about the laundry! (should have taken some oxy clean, i forgot mine too) So happy you got to lake manyara and ngorogoro crater( umm this is britty typing for my mom and that is the hardest thing i have ever tried to spell.) Everyone misses you. We are headed home tomorrow and look forward to seeing you. Stay safe!
Love
Nancy

  Nancy Stilb Jun 19, 2007 11:28 PM

4

Matt,
What adventues you are having. You will really appreciate a washing machine when you return. I'm really enjoying the photos.
Look forward to further stories and seeing you in pottery again.
Take care.
Connie

  Connie Corbett Jun 26, 2007 12:01 PM

About mbaum


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.