Existing Member?

Eo Ire Itum

I´m Still Here!

NICARAGUA | Wednesday, 12 August 2009 | Views [661] | Comments [1]

It´s been eleven or twelve days since I last wrote in here, and it was at least six days I went without being able to contact anybody at all.

We were staying on Little Corn Island, and the internet was down. They only have one internet cafe on the island and regular loss of power and an obviously weak internet connection, meant no access for quite a while. There wasn´t even any way of my calling home. 

I apoligize to those who were worried - mainly my family. I know a few days can feel like an age when you haven´t heard a peep from a family member who is traveling in a dangerous part of the world.

The past eleven days have been both full on and relaxing. I have been writing in my own personal journal, so I´ll be BACK DATING a few entries when I get home...but for now, just a short update.

I arrived on Big Corn on the 2nd. The flight was amazing! The plane was tiny and we flew very low over the coast of Nicaragua and the Caribbean Sea - the view was incredable.

I took the flight alone; Alex and Morgan had decided to take the boat over from Bluefields (they said it was horrible), so that day I relaxed by the beach, read and walked around Big Corn.

The following few days were quite similar. I caught up with Alex and Morgan and we did some swimming, exploring the island and general relaxing. After a few days we decided to head over to Little Corn Island, but we had a hiccup with the money side of things.

The ATM on the island wasn´t working at all for my cards and Alex and Morgan also had problems withdrawing money. It was a stressful time, but it was soon solved as I realised I could withdraw money over the counter in the back, from my debit card.

We took the tiny little panga boat over to Big Corn the next day and it was a bumpy ride. The waves were throwing up all over the place and as the boat skipped over the water, we all bumped along with it. It was like a ride at Seaworld or something - I´ve gotta say, it was LOTS of fun. I love that feeling of euphoria you get from that sort of thing. :)

Little Corn Island was fantastic. I loved the people there - everyone is friendly and wlcoming. I ended up staying there for six nights, in a little bamboo hut by the beach. Alex and Morgan left on the Sunday morning and I spent a few days there by my self, do some more exploring and relaxing by the beach.

Yesterday, I took the panga boat back to Big Corn and checked back into the same hotel by the beach for the night. I went to the airport and tried to book the flight to Managua yesterday, but they told me it was full. I ended up having to just rock up this morning, on the off chance that someone didn´t show up.

I wasn´t very positive about getting on the flight...but in the end, I was told there were three spare seats! So the two Canadian travelers I met and my self, managered to get seats. It was SUCH a releif. I had visions of missing my flights back to London and wasiting hundreds of pounds!!

Anyway, I´ll fill in the blanks later with my back dated entries. I hope everyone is well!!





Wow Maz,you did have all of us very concerned,even though you had warned us about the limited communication.Your dad is with us here at the moment,he brought the good warm weather with him from China and he is longing to meet up with his Ausie girl in London next week.Safe journey back to the UK.Love from Gran/Grandad.

  Gran & Granddad Hender Aug 13, 2009 8:01 AM

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.

About mazystar

Winter time means HATS!

Follow Me

Where I've been


Photo Galleries


Near Misses

My trip journals

See all my tags 



Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.