Existing Member?

Eo Ire Itum

Another day of traveling

NICARAGUA | Friday, 31 July 2009 | Views [970] | Comments [3]

Yesterday we woke up early and got the 8:45am bus from Managua to El Rama. It took a lot longer than we thought it would and we didn´t actually get there until about 4pm.

It was a crazy trip: every time we stopped a long procession of locals selling food and drinks would troop through the bus, shouting and waving their products. At one point a very loud man got on, and stood at the front of the bus yelling about god. 

It was a noisy and uncomfortable trip, but it was an experience. When we arrived at El Rama, another experience was waiting for us. We got on a long speed boat down the river to Bluefields. It went VERY fast - our hair flaped in our faces and the boat bumped up and down on the water. It was intense and took about two hours in total. 

When we got to Bluefields it was 6pm and we had spent another whole day traveling. To be honest I´m kind of sick of it and I´m annoyed that we haven´t found anywhere we like enough to hang around for a few days. I´m hoping the Corn Islands will be different.

The only problem is that getting there doesn´t seem to be an easy task. You can get a light plane from Bluefields, but I´ve been looking it up on the internet and I can´t find ANY information about it at all. There is also a boat, but according to my guide book, it only leaves on Wednesdays and being that today is Friday, Wednesday is quite faw away. Alex and Morgan went down to the docks today and said someone told them there might be one leaving on Sunday...but I think I´m going to try looking into getting the plane there. There might be a travel agent in town that can book the flight.

Anyway, I had an awful night last night...I was throwing up from food poisoning and I didn´t get any sleep at all. I´m feeling slightly better today though, apart from the odd stomach cramp. It´s just so hard getting a balanced diet when you´re traveling. Food poisoning is pretty much inevitable.

I do actually miss home at this point...it isn´t easy traveling when you´re sick. I think my immune system was beaten down from the shingles and I´ve just been feeling very fed up and tired. I have another two weeks left of traveling left, so hopefully I can do a week in the Corn Islands and then another week in Costa Rica by my self, before heading back to Guatemala for my flight home.

 

Comments

1

I do remember a famous explorer saying " I do love traveling the globe,it's a pity my stomach does'nt feel the same".
Let's trust that by now you have developed an immunity to "gippy tummy".
Your Dad arrives in the UK Wednesday 5th August.We are looking forward to his visit.Love Gran & Granddad Hender

  Gran & Granddad Hender Aug 5, 2009 1:53 AM

2

Hey! A week's gone by. What's been happening?

  Leanne Aug 8, 2009 1:11 AM

3

Just to let everyone know that Marianne, Alex and Morgan are all safe!!!!

They have been on Little Corn Island where internet access is extremely difficult. Marianne will be making another entry in this blog as soon as possible!

  antique Rose Aug 10, 2009 8:43 PM

About mazystar

Winter time means HATS!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.