Existing Member?

Eo Ire Itum

Plymouth

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 2 April 2009 | Views [466] | Comments [1]

I left Torquay on Monday afternoon and headed further west to Plymouth so I could visit my family who live there - my Granny, Grandad, Auntie Shirley, Uncle Mike, cousins Duncan and Tim, and Tims' wife and three year old daughter, Lucy. I hadn't seen them for TEN YEARS and was eager to re-connect.

Being here has been really lovely. I spent Tuesday and today with Granny and Grandad. On Tuesday they took me up to Totnes which is a pretty quaint little village full of history and lovely old architecture, and today they took me into he city center and around the Barbican (docks and waterfront).

I'm so very grateful, to Shirley and Mike for putting me up in their home and for being so amazingly hospitable and friendly. Since being here I've remember just how much Shirley and I get along and how much we have in common. She really is a wonderful person.

I've been swept away by the love and kindness my family have shown me. I can't believe it had been TEN whole years since I'd last seen them. Before I arrived part of me was really apprehensive about seeing everyone again and I'm not even sure why. I had no need to worry about anything as my Plymouth family have always been and remain to be amazing folk. :)

On Tuesday night Duncan came around for a quick visit and that was lovely. It was really cool to see him again. And last night Tim brought around little Lucy who is ADORABLE!! She's a shy little thing and didn't want to look at me (until I bribed her with a chocolate egg. hehe). She seems a very bright and unique little girl as well. It was fantastic to see her and to see Tim.

I've really enjoyed my time in Plymouth and it's a shame I can't spend any more time here, but I'm planning to come back before I go to America and will pop back all the time once I move to London.

Back to London tomorrow. I hope I get a train with a plug for my laptop so I can watch a film!!! :D

My cousin Tim, his little girl Lucy and my Aunty Shirley and Uncle Mike.

My cousin Tim, his little girl Lucy and my Aunty Shirley and Uncle Mike.

Comments

1

Thanks Darling for the picture of the War Memorial on the Hoe, which is dedicated to the Plymouth naval officers who sacrificed their lives during WW1; and includes the name of your great great uncle, who died in 1914, aged only 18.

Sadly, so many young men perished in “the war to end all wars”, including also, your Australian (1st generation) great great uncle, who served in the British Army, as a Lieutenant in the 11th Squadron Royal Flying Corps; and was killed-in-action, on Nov. 3, 1916 (aged 27). His name is on the Commemorative Roll at the Australian War Memorial, Canberra; and his Memorial is at the Avesnes-Le-Comte Cemetery in France.

Much love from,

  antique Rose Apr 3, 2009 6:12 PM

About mazystar

Winter time means HATS!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.