Existing Member?

Eo Ire Itum

Torquay

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 30 March 2009 | Views [678]

I've throughly enjoyed my weekend here in Torquay. I came down on Friday afternoon. I left at about 1pm and after a rather epic train journey, I arrived at Torquay train station and was greeted by my friend Dave who I met when he was living in Sydney. 

Dave had kindly agreed to have me stay with him for the weekend and even gave up his bed for me. So very sweet of him. :)

After a lovely dinner (curry - the national dish) with Daves family, we went out to the local pub for a quiz night. Here I met lots of Daves friends and John (who I've known for a while since I got to England) arrived from Guilford.

The quiz was amazing fun. The guy that runs it is crazy fun - he laughs and shouts and dances around. I found out not long after getting there that John (not Guilford John, another one) had put my name on the list to be a contestant on the quiz!! ARGH!! :D I was called up after about three rounds of the quiz and after I was introduced to the pub the sound guy played 'Tie me Kangaroo Down' by Rolf Harris. Which is totally the worst song ever written by just about anyone. Hee hee. It was pretty funny though even if I did go bright red! It was all in the name of good fun.

The quiz was pretty much just answering questions from trivial pursuit and the first person to press their buzzer gets to answer and if you get the question right you get a card (just cards from a normal deck of cards) and you have to get PONTOON (so, 21) to win the round.

I answered ONE question (after someone had shouted the answer out anyway hehe) and then I got given a card and I won my round with basically no effot whatsoever.

Sadly I didn't win anything nor did I get through the semi-finals but it was lots of fun. After the quiz (the pub shut at about 11pm) a few of us headed into town and went to a club called Trents and had a few more drinks and a bit of a chat. It was a very good night but I think I was painfully aware of the fact we had to do it all again the next night and I really didn't want to burn my self out so I kept my drinks to a minium.

The next day John (who was also staying at Daves), Dave and my self went for a walk down to the harbour and on the beach. It was a lovely day mostly but the weather kept changing from sun to rain and then back again. I took some photos and we had coffee and food in a cafe by the water. It was a lovely afternoon.

In the evening after we all dressed up we headed over to Lisas. The main reason I've come down to Torquay is for GEORGIAS birthday and the party she had was a joint one with Lisa who I met on the Friday. We spent a few hours at Lisas and then got a huge taxi into town to eat MEXICAN food at Jingles! The food was delicious and the portions were bloody HUGE! I seriously couldn't eat all of my huge plate of nachos even though they were so delicious. It was painful to leave them!

After dinner we all pilled into a STREACH HUMMER. Yes you read correctly, a massive streach hummer. There was lots of room in there and I think there was about 18 of us so it's a good thing there was lots of room. It was a fun filled hour just driving around and having glasses of champers.

After the hummer fun we went to Trents again and spent the rest of the evening chatting and enjoying the music. It was a really great night out and I've really enjoyed meeting new people and seeing Torquay. I really like it down here actually.

Tomorrow I'm off to Plymouth which is very exciting. I can't wait to see the family again!! Its been TEN YEARS!!

About mazystar

Winter time means HATS!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.