Existing Member?

Eo Ire Itum

Boat tours in Sihanoukville

CAMBODIA | Friday, 23 January 2009 | Views [1778]

The past two days here in Sihanoukville have been fantastic. Yesterday I went on a boat tour of the Ream National Park.

The tour started with breakfast by the beach at 7am. I sat and watched the cafe's staff set up for their busy day while I lamented the fact that I could have still be asleep in bed. I was finally presented with my breakfast. One baguette sitting alone on a huge plate. I smothered it in jam and butter in order to take away from the crunchy stale taste.

I am not a morning person at all but I don't mind getting up early if I am doing something important or interesting. I do not like getting up at 6am for a stale bit of bread. I couldn't help but think that this the day was doomed to failure.

After a half an hour bus ride through the streets of downtown Sihanoukville and into the country side, we arrived at the Ream National Park ranger station. Here we met our ranger guide, had a quick toilet break and boarded the tiny junk boat that would take us down the Prek Tuk Sap Estuary. 

I ended up being the very last person to climb aboard the boat so I had to sit in between an old Italian couple who kept talking over me even though I had asked them several times if they wanted to sit together. They passed cameras, bottles, half eaten fruit and guide books inches away from my face. It was going to be a LONG boat ride.

On the way down the river our guide pointed out sea eagles, storks and egrets, and when we got past all of the mangroves and into the bay, our guide started shouting "dolphins! dolphins!" We all looked but saw nothing. He kept seeing them but no body else did. An Australian woman at the back of the boat said quite loudly "There aren't any dolphins! He's lying!" (Bloody Australians!) Seconds later we saw a silver fin shining above the water for a split second and everyone held their breath to see if it would surface again. The boats motor was turned off and we floated, listening to nothing but the gentle lapping of the water. A few minuets past and the guide said that it was probably the wind that was keeping the dolphins below the water. I had no idea that dolphins didn't like the wind.

We jugged on to our first destination - one of the national park's beautiful golden beaches. Some people swam, others sun bathed and I sat on the sand and read my book. After an hour we were told we were going on our trek through the jungle and to the other side of the peninsular. I was worried at this point because I was wearing only thongs and I wasn't sure what the track would be like. I needn't have worried. Our apparent "trek through the jungle" turned out to be nothing more than a casual stroll down a sandy, tree-lined path. As the group walked, I chatted to a young British woman called Louise who was walking in front of me.

After the "trek" we had lunch at the dolphin watching station, which is a wooden building sitting on stilts about two meters out from the shore line. Lunch was a barracuda steak, coleslaw and (as usual) a stale baguette. Poor Louise had to settle for only, what she called, a cabbage sandwich because she is a vegetarian and couldn't eat the fish. I can't imagine what it would be like to be a vegetarian in some Asia countries. Especially in China where vegetarian fried rice comes complete with squares of pork. Louise said it was usually only hard when it comes to day tours and that she usually gets by with veggies and fruit.

When lunch was finished we all jumped back onto the boat. A few minuets later the motor whirred and we were stuck on a sand bank. The guide had told us as we were leaving that if this happened he would ask for the men to help push the boat. (He also said the women didn't have to help and could stay in the boat. None of the women complained when they heard this.)

Everyone watched as the guide and the driver pushed with oars trying to free the boat from the sand bank. A few of the men asked if they needed a hand but after the guide jumped into the water and gave the boat one big push to the right, we fell off the sand bank and into deeper water.  

The ride back was much more enjoyable. I sat at the front of the boat with Louise and a young Australian couple - Lauren and Steve - and we all talked. Louise and I even discovered we were staying at the same guesthouse, which was quite a coincidence considering how many places there are to stay in Sihanoukville.

Once back at the ranger station we were slowly ushered into a few vans and four-wheel-drives, and driven half an hour back to town.

In the evening Louise and I decided to go out for dinner so we found a quiet little restaurant away from the beach that had Khmer coconut curry served INSIDE a hollowed out coconut. Even despite the novelty of having ones meal served inside a coconut, the meal was DELICIOUS and satisfying and both Louise and I were clutching our fully bellies afterwards. As we were sitting at our table talking; Greg walked by, which was a fantastic surprise and when Louise left for the guesthouse Greg and I caught up over a few beers.

The next morning I dragged my self out of bed at 7am, showered, dressed and went to the guesthouse reception to ask where I was suppose to be to start my island boat tour. One of the Khmer staff told me my ride was late. He apologised and told me to sit while he called the driver. The exchange of words sounded quite fiery but in a few seconds the driver was there. I carefully climbed onto the back of the moto (THIRD time on a motorbike and counting!) and asked the driver to go slowly. To the drivers credit he did go slowly ... but the ride was only to the top of the street! I could have walked there in THREE MINUETS! I wondered why it had been so important to stop this poor moto driver from doing whatever it was he was doing so he could come and driver me to the end of the road. Hahaha.

At breakfast I sat with two Australia women – Ashley and Julie who were work mates traveling South East Asia together on a few weeks holiday. It turned out that both are from the same area in Sydney that I lived in for years – one from Chippendale and the other from Newtown. I have met lots of people from Sydney but so far no one from Newtown. It really is such a small world...especially when you can be in another country and have someone ask you about your local pubs like The Townie and The Lansdowne. :)

(Oh and what was for breakfast? You guessed it – one stale baguette each. Yum, yum.)  

After breakfast we made our way down to the beach and to our boat. I sat with Julie and Ashley at the back but we couldn’t talk due to the noise of the motor. As we jugged along I stared out at the vastness of the calm ocean with the morning sunlight dancing along the blue water’s slight ripples. Even despite the very motor, it was still peaceful and relaxing. Our small boat was carrying about 11 people in total most of whom were young backpackers. An Aussie couple, two French women, two Scottish guys, three young Khmer guides, Julie, Ashley and my self.

We soon stopped about two meters from the rocky shore of a small island. Once here our guide handed out snorkels and told us we could snorkel closer to the shore or just swim around the boat where the water was about 2-3 meters deep. When people jumped into the water, the tiny boat leaned to one side and then rocked quite dramatically from side to side for a few seconds. The water was warm and I swam around for about half an hour before getting back onto the boat.

Our next destination was Bamboo Island where Julie, Ashley and I did some snorkeling and walked around the beach – being careful not to step on any sea urchins as we went. Lunch was served in the shade on the beach and consisted of barracuda steak, coleslaw and a baguette. Sounds familiar right? It was exactly the same as the lunch I got for the national park tour! Hehehe. It was nice enough though, especially with chili sauce!

Bamboo Island is one of the smaller islands in the bay of Sihanoukville, and it became obvious to us just how small it is when we walked an entire 10mins to get to the other side. Few if any people actually LIVE on the island but you can rent bungalows along the beach if you’re lucky enough to secure a reservation. The beach on the BAY side of the island is clear of sea debris like bits of coral and urchins so we all felt a lot safer just paddling in the calm, shallow water without the threat of stepping on something and needing to go to hospital.

I talked to Julie and Ashley, and the three of us bobbed around in the water and bathed in the sunshine. It was just a lovely, relaxing afternoon with some awesome people, in a beautiful place. What more could you ask for? :)  

The boat trip back to Serendipity Beach was noisy again and this time everyone was feeling quite tired from having the sun on them all day. (It’s a hard life! Woe!) Some people read others watched the water and the passing islands and our guide passed around plates of squared banana and pineapple.

Back on dry land Julie, Ashley and I decided to meet up later on for a drink and I wandered off into town to check my emails and buy my ticket out of Sihanoukville. I bought an 8:45am bus ticket to Phnom Penh leaving the next day.

I enjoyed my time in Sihanoukville but I really feel that it’s time to move on now. My next destination after Phnom Penh will be Bangkok where I will organise the next leg of my journey – my U.K. trip. I have visas, flights and accommodation to sort out and Bangkok is b y far the best place in South East Asia to do this.

Although I did have some low points of my trip in Cambodia...I will be sad to leave. I have enjoyed my time here. I met some FANTASTIC people, experienced some new things, eaten some great food and see some awe inspiring sights. And I am sure I will come back one day and do it all again. :)

 

About mazystar

Winter time means HATS!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.