Existing Member?

Eo Ire Itum

Tonic for the Soul

LAOS | Sunday, 4 January 2009 | Views [714]

An Australian woman I met in Vang Vieng told me she was coming to Luang Prabang because she had heard it described as ‘tonic for the soul’. I’ve been here for less that 24hrs now and I have to say she is right. Luang Prabang is magical.

Encircled by mountains and set on a jutting peninsular with the Mekong River running to the west and the Nam Khan to the east, Luang Prabang is rich in natural beauties, historical sites and cultural wonders. There are the Kuang Si Falls and Pak Ou Caves; elephant rides through the jungle, night markets selling traditional goods, The Luang Prabang National Museum, countless temples and much more.

I arrived yesterday evening after a rather arduous 8hr bus journey through the mountains. Lyb and Graeme had picked a lovely little family run guest house not far from the center of town so when I arrived I booked a room there as well.

I didn’t do too much after I arrived last night, but I did check out the famous Luang Prabang night markets and bought a few pieces of traditional jewelry and a delicious fruit shake (with three types of milk!)

Today I had a much needed sleep in (got up at 9am!) and after breakfast I went for a walk into town. It was a full day - I bought a new camera, booked in for a yoga class on Tuesday and a half day elephant park experience on Wednesday (I get to hang out with ELEPHANTS! I’m SO excited!!), got a traditional Lao massage (HEAVEN!), visited the national museum and three beautiful temples and ate a delicious vegetarian pizza at one of the lovely little French style cafes on the main street.

I'm lovnig Luang Prabang so far and although I did have a great time there, I’m very grateful to have a rest after a week in the party town - Vang Vieng (which is kind of like the Ibizia of Sth Est Asia - gin and tonic for the soul)!

More photos have been uploaded now that I have a brand spanking new camera, which is still a Cannon but is the next model up from my old one (10 mega pixels!)

The Nam Khan river to the east of Luang Prabang.

The Nam Khan river to the east of Luang Prabang.

About mazystar

Winter time means HATS!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.