Existing Member?

An Incredible World

Ice and Fire

ICELAND | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [350] | Scholarship Entry

"Martina, could you please call me immediately? There is one free ticket for a flight to Iceland tomorrow. I would like to send you there. Nicol."
I could not believe my eyes. My heart started to play an accelerating symphony of drums but bringing a harmony to my soul. A magical home of elves and trolls, a piece of land which seems to be stuck to this Earth from elsewhere, all painted with marvelous landscape. Imagination was feeding my excitement like a balloon which is about to burst. Nicol, my manager, provided me with all necessary information and wished a safe journey. She must have realized how thrilled I was.

While sitting on the plane I started to do a silent revision of packed things. I was in a rush, what if I had forgotten something? Weather Forecast was promising not less than 7 and more than 10 degrees during my stay. Quite hot for the beginning of May so close to the Arctic Circle. But in Iceland one never knows so following the local saying 'If you are not satisfied with current weather just wait for 10 minutes and it will change', I packed everything from swimsuit to winter jacket.

"Cabin crew prepare for landing!" Thanks to pilot's deep voice I started focusing on destination we were reaching. Looking down from the window I could admire fjord like shore of an island washed by iced blue waters of the Atlantic Ocean for the first time in my life. Volcanos sleeping like boiling pots covered with a snow right next to the 4th biggest glacier Mýrdalsjökull. Wildness in its contrasts, I must respect this living land. What is about to meet me?

And yet I am here. Walking down the Saebraut road of Reykjavík in daylight even at 9 pm with tones of Oláfur Arnalds in my ears. Facing rough northern chill on my already pinkish cheeks but feeling incredibly warm from inside. Who would expect that in such a spacious country one can find connection with inner self so easily and even feel cozy like at home? All alone on the street but still not lonely declaring a feeling of enjoyment by a constant smile. My soul was simply bathing in all that ease. Sneaking wind coming from the far ocean through the nostrils suddenly cut the line of my thoughts. And then I got it! One can be comfortable and happy anywhere in this diverse world. All that is necessary is just an open mind and heart to be able to inhale and coexist with the spirit of discovering land. This knowledge is the most precious gift I will carry back home from A Country of Ice and Fire.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About mayza


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Iceland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.