Existing Member?

dawesberry adventures my view of the big family adventure.

Big Gig!!

IRELAND | Friday, 25 August 2006 | Views [679]

excellent night of music at in Limerick. Sharon Shannon gig, compliments of Jim Murray

excellent night of music at in Limerick. Sharon Shannon gig, compliments of Jim Murray

Well, Jim appeared at the door that we walked into, miraculously,cuz this place was huge with so many environments, how did it happen that he met us upon arrival? Anyway, he was keen to hang out with us a bit, but we were in a hurry to eat before the gig, and thought best to go back out to a fast pizza chain that will remain unnamed, to get that quick bite, so he came with us. He was keen to see the van, with its recently posted “for sale” sign. So we caught up with him in this fashion, quickly scarfing down the pizza and then rushing off to the gig. We managed, somehow, to find stools and plant ourselves front and center, with about 8 feet of dance space between us and the stars! There would be a standard rock band set up, including sax, then trad set up for 4 in front. It was top top music from the start. Sharon is a virtuoso on box accordion and is one of the biggest names in Irish music. Seriously. It was so good, and so dance-able, that I really wanted to bust on to the dancefloor, but those damn cameras. NO ONE was dancing! It was so making toes itch, but no one, including me, wanted to risk being the first dancer, recorded for posterity on dvd! Ha! There were about 7 cameras. Honestly, I felt on the spot as an audience member! I really grew tired of it after a while, I felt phoney, like I couldn’t show tired-ness or disinterest, not that I was disinterested, but the cameras! The cameras! The concert just got better and better. Jim was excellent as usual, and he is looking good, too. Sharon really pissed me off when she put down the accordion and picked up a whistle and played it better than I’ll ever be able to. She always looks so happy, and she’s so down to earth. Really. A delight to be in the presence of. They had a bit of a break and then during the 2nd half, she started coming out with these special guests. It was incredible. She’d start talking about the person who would come out next, naming their instrument or forte, and as soon as she said where they were from, the audience would go wild with cheering, all knowing well who would come out… whether or not they were advertised to be at this gig. I felt like I was at the biggest little event in Ireland. The stars just kept coming out, thrilling the audience, be it an old man fiddler whose every song was easily recognised and sung by EVERYone in the audience, or a young pop star. Wow. It was incredible being in the room. But it still took ages for anyone to break onto the dance floor. Sharon had to chide us for not dancing… “we decided to record the dvd here because when we played here last month, it was pumping with the mad dancing…you all are FIRED! You’re no good!” and still it took til 4 songs to the end, and the biggest pop star with the whole audience jumping and singing along for the dancefloor to be occupied, and then it was flooded. My favorite of the special guests was Declan O’Roarke and here is a link to listen to the song he sang that night, http://www.declanorourke.com/music.php its called 'Galileo (someone like you)' It is such a beautiful song and his voice, mmmm mmm mmm!!! It was a great night, even though the cameras were difficult, and at least they had another night of recording, and I heard that the audience were mad dancers! Jim came right off stage to take us upstairs to the party, or whatever you call it after the gig at the venue. There was lots to drink, and Jim made sure we were drinking, and chatting away before he disappeared to get out of his sweaty clothes and have a shower. What a sweetie. It was a room full of charming folks, superstars right before my eyes. Sharon is so real. She’s genuine, she’s gorgeous, she mesmorizes with her playing, and fills the stage and the backstage with joy. Very loved, she is. We stumbled back to the inn and had each a bed! Ahhh!

Tags: Party time

About maurajeanie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.