Existing Member?

dawesberry adventures my view of the big family adventure.

Korea as seen from Hyatt

SOUTH KOREA | Saturday, 1 July 2006 | Views [534]

hotel lobby where sarong incident happened

hotel lobby where sarong incident happened

Well, the eighteen hours in Korea wasn’t as I thought or hoped it would be. The only Koreans I got to see were the well staffed Hyatt that we stayed at close to the airport. My hope for a bit of culture was dashed, but hey, those luxury beds were fffffine! Wow, we didn’t expect that kind of hotel. Albeit was just 5 paces from the airport amidst construction. we found one convenience shop which we perused for Korean style items and had a good laugh at Hello Kitty menstrual pads… ah, growing up with hellokitty. They fed us very well, especially the buffet breakfast. Still trying to get the most culture from my 18 hours in Korea, I loaded my plate up with Korean veggies, even though most people we’re pigging out on Euro/American fare. Ha ha. The joke was on me, cuz it turned out not really veggies, but a full array of kim-chee which I had to take a while to figure out, so I pretty much stuffed myself with pickles (kimchee = pickled stuff) before getting some regular breakfast food like everyone else. We had fun trying to act swanky while wearing the same clothes we’d worn on our flight. Our travel agent neglected to inform us that we wouldn’t get our luggage during the stopover. So Megan was wearing a very interesting pair of jeans (getting lots of staring and comments from people in aus and korea) that she’d worn already for a whole day before the trip because she spent the night with Todd and they met me on the way to the airport. After a shower, she couldn’t bear to put them on again for complimentary dinner at swanky hotel restaurant, so she opted for the bright red silk sarong I carried-on. I TOLD her that you had to tie it (rather than just tucking it) but she IS an independent young lady. It was pretty funny to both of us while passing the black suited Korean hotel staff, she with her elegant, confident posture, when it started falling to the floor. We sort of took the “shelter” of a nearby column and potted palm to giggle our way through tying it up properly. I will try to put some photos up (not sure how it works away from home) to show how they cute-ify their signage. Sorry its not showing more culturally enlightening than that!!!

Tags: Airports

About maurajeanie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.