Existing Member?

Life Love & Adventure Follow my journeys around this little blue planet as I tread wearily into unknown waters, sipping on the nectars of ancient fruit trees, grappling linguistics with foreign tongues, and bathing in exotic sensations ...

Cascades Magicas!

MEXICO | Sunday, 24 February 2013 | Views [452] | Comments [1]

And just as the Universe decreed, Bambo wanted to get away from things for a day or two, so we plotted a course to take us away from the coast and into the highlands of the Sierra Madre.

So after a nice breakfast at La Mora we packed a bag or two, gave the car a quick once over and headed off.  The boys had some unfinished business in Pochutla, so that was the first port of call.  Before too long we left the long, windy road that follows the coast towards Huatulco, onto another long and windy dirt road into the foot hills.  The dust from the road covered everything in range so the normally lush green vegetation was more like a dusty grey brown.  Together with an eerie Middle-Eastern sound track being played in the car, the whole drive was surreal, as though we were on another planet!
 
After passing a number of small communities we arrived at Cascades Magicas, a beautiful cascading river of crystal clear water that gurgles its way through a sylvan forest rich in birds and butterflies.  It truly is a magical place, and as we walked the short trail alongside it, we passed small cascades and falls until we came to an isolated swimming hole just upstream from the main cascades site.  We spent most of our time here, taking on the mountain cool water, admiring the myriad of butterflies fluttering around, coaxing Piku into the water after a stick, and soaking up the blissful forest ambience.  Tiny river fish nibbled at my toes as I sat in the water, nests of spindly forest spiders danced on top of each other up fallen logs, and butterflies of irradescent blues, greens and reds swooped low over the running stream.  It felt great to wash out the weeks of salt I had accumulated from the beach too :)
 
A beautiful lunch had been prepared for us back at the small village of El Llano where the cascades are located, and as it was late in the day, we took on a small cabana nearby to spend the night in.  These cabanas are owned and cared for by the whole community, and are clean and beautifully presented with hot and cold water, twin and single beds.  We were invited back for dinner by one of the families, but some nights I find just aren't wired right for me, and feeling like a right gringo, I stayed back.  Sorry boys!  Just needed some quiet time!
 
But an early rise the following morning in the fresh, cool mountain air, heralded in a new day.  So take a deep breath and take another step forward, and we'll push on into the unknown :)

Comments

1

Howdy again mate. Sounds like another adventure came to you just at the right time. I'll be interested to hear you speak a bit more of your trip into the Sierra Madre. Sounds rather cool and different. Enjoy your last few days in your relaxed mexican paradise and look forward to seeing you soon. :)

s.

  Steve Watson Feb 25, 2013 1:31 PM

About mattso


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.