Existing Member?

Raiders Of The Lost Kiwi The journal of two young men setting out on a journey of self harm, destruction and chaos. Hope you enjoy the show!

On the road to Whangarei

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 16 April 2008 | Views [307] | Comments [1]

After waking up in a small town called Orewa (nice beach see the pics) we fired up the van for the journey north to Whangarei. The drive was amazing untill we decided to take a side trip to a place called Pakiri Beach, this was the biggest mistake of our lives as it took about 30 mins to get there and it was pretty much massive sand dunes and a sea that would almost certainly kill you if you swam in it, add to that the horrific weather and it was fairly rubbish, good surf beach my arse.

After making one big mistake we stupidly decided to take a different route to where we were headed and ended up driving on the worst roads i have ever seen, the pot holes were the same size as the van and it took some serious manouvering, Deirdre held out and tackled them with ease, check the pics.

We eventually arrived in the Sub Tropical city of Whangarei and basically went exploring, still suffering from immense jet lag we opted for the Cinema. However we yet again ended up in another Irish bar where we met two cracking locals, Gary and Tony. After a crazy gay guy kicked up a fuss about paying for his drinks Gary pulled us over as reinforcements to chuck him out, luckily he ran off in a hissy fit, very funny.

After that we had about 6 double Whisky and Cokes bought for us by Gary and Tony whilst we listened to some amazing live music, people literally came in and started jamming with complete strangers. Oh and Pete nearly got into a fight with someone because his girlfriend found us more interesting than him, i can see why. (Keeping a close eye on Pete)

After another night in a lovely car park we headed off to the Bay Of Islands.

Tags: drink locals whisky gary tony

Comments

1

.....lol mucho funny...and classic pete hehe. x

  pip May 4, 2008 8:55 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.