Existing Member?

Tales from Here?!

Friday 2nd March Day 22

ECUADOR | Sunday, 4 March 2012 | Views [1173] | Comments [5]

Matt was in reception at Hostel Chiminea, and American guys asks the women at the desk, "Do you know, is it going to rain all day?"! Well, it made us laugh, anyway!

The old legs are definately aching!  We have a lazy start to the day, just reading up on our next destination and waiting for the rain to stop!

Matt wants, and needs a haircut.

We decided not to bother with the waterfalls today, afterall there is enough water outside!  The rain eases, so we venture out in search of a barbers. We know we have seen one somewhere. Can we find it? No, we can't! We amble through the back roads for ages, the only good thing is, we see places we haven't seen before. More where the locals go. We did get a few stares actually, don't think they were used to seeing tourists.

Eventually, we find one! While Matt gets pampered, I sit and watch the local art of making 'Taffy'. This is where there are wooden pegs, attached to the shop wall, and they sort of throw noughat(not sure how you spell that!) over the peg and pull it, and twist it and stretch it over the peg. We haven't actually tried it, as we are not sure if our insurance coavers dental work!!

We walked back through the centre of town and called in at the local food market. This is where you can buy cooked food, very cheap. I had chicken (no feet) with potato soup and Matt had rice, 'meat' and salad. Outside the market, there are a couple of women cooking, what looked very much like 'guinea pig'! Bothe of our meals were $4.50. We left the old lady $5 (3.50) and wakled off. She came running after us, trying to tell us we needed change. (Bless her, she abviously doesn't get tips very often!) We wish we had eaten there more often!

We go back to digs to play cards on the roof terrace. Later we go for a walk back into town. We walk past a tour shop, that we must have walked past half a dozen times, but for some reason tonight, we stop to look at the photo's of the jungle tour.  Matt said, 'I know that face!' So we went in to confirm. He had met the Ecuadorian jungle guide at Bicton Wood nr. Shrewsbury a couple of years ago. We spoke to his brother, how is running the tour shop, unfortunately Gonzalo is in the UK at present, (small world!!).

(We move on again tomorrow, so we had some washing done in the digs, only problem was it came back damp! $2 only though!)

Also, we did buy some postcards for a chosen few! only problem was, it would cost us $2 each (1.40) to post, so sorry guys, no postcards are being sent from Ecuador!!

Comments

1

I't is a small world and I wonder how many more people you will see that you know, I don't mean the ones you've booked to see either!

love you

  Jane Mar 6, 2012 3:38 AM

2

Hi there seasoned bloggers. Just caught up on your last few days in Equador. LOL Alison x

  Alison Mar 6, 2012 4:02 AM

3

Your link to facebook isn't working ..... ! Loving the blogs

  Jemma Mar 6, 2012 11:45 PM

4

So where are you now, eh?

  Anne Mar 8, 2012 6:52 AM

5

Hey you two , am interasted in the local hard stuff , is it mainly sugar based ,. what do you reccomend ? Can I get at Tanners ?

  Dave Mar 8, 2012 7:58 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.