Existing Member?

Tales from Here?!

Netty's Birthday. 17th Feb Day 9

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO | Wednesday, 22 February 2012 | Views [885] | Comments [2]

Slept quite well, considering we are on the main road and cars are speeding up the road all night and dogs seem to be everywhere. (Why do you never hear them, during the day?.

Matt managed to sneak 6 cards or so, over for me, which was a nice surprise. Nice start to the day.

Right, now down to business, plan c, d ,or e, we can't quite remember!  Phoned a few travel agents, found one quite close by, that may be able to help on our quest! Chris kindly drops us off at the door and gives us directions on where to go to get a taxi home. (They do worry we will end up somewhere we shouldn't).

The lady was really nice and when we told her our plans on catching the ferry to Venezuela, it has to be said she did look slightly (no, not slightly) very shocked, at our choice and asked what we knew about Guria, the port we would be sailing in to? Well, apparently, it's a 'shit hole'!! There is no transport and the only people who use it are Venezuelans, who hitch a ride out of there or have their own transport.  It is also a ridiculously long bus journey to Angel falls, (which, in fairness, we did know!). She also said, the language barrier is very difficult there too, as not many speak English, at all!

So, we are afraid to say, we have really stumbled at the first hurdle. Angel Falls are OUT! (Obviously, it was not meant to be!) 

So, we now go about booking a flight straight to Ecuador. This to, seems easier said than done! Everywhere is so busy, because of Carnival here. We were planning on leaving on the 22nd, but there are no places left.  The first flight we can get on, is the 25th. This will take us straight to Quito, the capital. Unfortunately, there are only 2 seats left on the flight, 1 in business class (that's mine then, it is my birthday after all!) and Matt is in cattle class, as he has called it! (It was actually only 30 pound more anyway).

That is all now booked, all we have to do now, is hope we can rent the house we have been in for 3 extra days. Shouldn't be a problem!

We wait for 30 minutes in the heat, (it has been as hot as 35)for a taxi, they run slightly differently to back at home, they just picking people up until it is full!

Matt thought I was going to pass out, as I am wedged between him and a rather large black lady in the back, luckily it is only about 10 minutes.

Tonight, we are being taken to watch the Steel Pan band practice. Chris is in one of the best on the island, last years champions, no less! Trinidad All Stars.

Comments

1

Hope Matt has started to practice his mooing! x

  Kirsty Feb 23, 2012 1:05 PM

2

Just loved this blog, keep up the good work.
Hope everything goes well on the next part of your journey
can't wait for here your next installments from Ecuador
Great Taxi's arn't they!!

  Jane Feb 24, 2012 7:22 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Trinidad & Tobago

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.