Existing Member?

Tales from Here?!

Carnival Monday 20th Feb - J'ouvert! - Day 12

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO | Thursday, 23 February 2012 | Views [868]

It's 2 a.m.

We are raring to go! We are following Chris's band today, The All Stars. We get down to the pan yard, which is 'down town'. (It has to be said, we wouldn't go there on our own). There are already about 20 people gathering.

They put as many steel pans on the back of an artic trailer, which has been customized especially for the job. Today, mainly the younger members of the band play. About an hour or so after we get to the yard, we prepare to leave, by this time, there must be a least 100 plus ready to follow!

We follow, walking, no, not walking, let me explain. It is 'doin' the chip' - which is a slow march dance. Thank God, Chris told me to change from my flip-flops into my trainers. (To say my legs ache is an understatement!)

Needless to say, there are more competitions on route. Every so often, the band has to play 'What a wonderful world' to sets of judges along the way.  It is such a fabulous atmosphere, young and old alike follow, drinking and dancing.

Today there are 2 different groups in town, the ones like us who are following their steel bands etc., and then there are the ones who are following the music trucks, playing extremely loud music, these were the ones throwing the powder paint, oil and melted chocolate! Fortunately, we did manage to avoid this, except for passing each other, where the roads were so packed, you couldn't help but touch. (All good fun though). I only had one man trying to 'wine' with me! This is not what you think!!

So after 5 hours or so of 'chippin', we arrive back to 'd' pan yard at about 9 a.m.! The sun has been up for about 3 hours, the sweat is pouring from us. Back home for a cold shower and lots of iced water! I don't think a lot will happen for the rest of the day!!

(Thanks to you all for our messages, keep them coming, we love reading them!).

 

 

Travel Answers about Trinidad & Tobago

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.