Existing Member?

When my ass was 26 years old...

Blue Mountains

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 7 January 2011 | Views [442]

Got the train up to the Blue Mountains; only two hours and definately worth it. Headed to Katoomba YHA and wasn’t dissapointed; a really nice hostel.  After me getting another beating by Andy during a game of shithead we got invited to play some drinking games with two Canadian girls, Marisa and Lindsay, and an Irishman, Sean.  The evening went downhill from then on.  Drank a fair amount of our nice cheap (but not the cheapest – Andy has labeled me wine ponce) and drunkenly commited ourselves to a nice long six hour trek to the Ruined Castle with Marisa and Lindsay.  Woke up in the morning slightly worse for wear and set off on our jaunt into the wilderness.  The ladies were suitably attired in shorts and trainer socks; something they regretted later I’m sure!  After a couple of hours of trecking in what felt like a Gorrillas in the Mist remake (very nice it was too), Lindsay noticed something black and wormlike hanging onto her trainer.  With much screaming ensuing, (mostly by the girls) the days battle against the dreaded leaches began.  Top scorer with three bites was Andy with me and Lindsay following closely behind with two a piece.  Note for future reference – leaches can bite through socks....the little gits! 

Anyway, after another hour we arrived at the first rock outcrop and after a bit of debate decided these weren’t good enough to warrant the name of Ruined Castle and so set off further down the path.  I was imaging some kind of aboriginal take on a  medieval fort but what we found was even better.  Arrived at some huge rock outcrops right at the top of a hill.  After some haphazzard rock climbing (Andy hugged some rocks nice an closely)  we made it to the top and had a much deserved lunch. 

The great views made the journey and war against the leaches definately worth it.  Headed back towards Katoomba and completed our 10k trek with a 900 step stairs to finish off mostly intact.

For some reason the girls took it uppon themselves to return all the errant Katoomba shopping trolleys on the way back to the hostel, so Andy and I did the gentlemanly thing - watched and laughed as they trudged up the hill. 

Got back to the hostel and decided we were too knackered to cook so headed out for a bite to eat.  This was delayed by a whopping two hours while the Canadian contingent beautified themseleves.  By ten we managed to actually head out and stumbled from closed place to closed place and somehow through a stroke of luck ended up at a really nice pizza place. Ended up in a locals pub wth good music.  Ordered the cheapest whiskey & coke and got served a morgans spice instead – oh well who am i to argue.

Quote of the day – ‘Do women have kidneys too?’

Tags: blue mountains

 

About mattandandy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.