Existing Member?

When my ass was 26 years old...

Sydney - Northern Beaches

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 12 January 2011 | Views [1296] | Comments [1]

We were reluctanct to leave the brilliant Blue Mountains and the girls, but with only a few days remaining in Sydney we wanted to explore the northern beaches.  We got the train back into Sydney and took the hour long bus ride over the Sydney Harbour Bridge up to Collaroy.  I’d seen the hostel we were staying in (YHA Sydney Beachhouse) months ago online and was really looking forward to the beach location, laid back vibe, and free surf board hire.  Talk about the biggest disappointment ever!  Our room was on the top floor and we opened to a hum of hot air and man sweat.  The three guys in the room were literally permanent residents, and it felt like we were invading their home, or more their squat from the state of the place.  After a day of chilling on the beach and two very sweaty, sleepless nights we decided enough was enough and checked out.  We decided to make best of our location and took the bus up to Palm Beach, a.k.a. Summer Bay of Home and Away.

Plenty of nice houses, good sun, and Sheela’s so we were happy.  Definitely somewhere to move to if you strike it lucky with the lottery!

Picked up our gear from the Devil's Hostel as we’ve labelled it (in nearly every game of shithead there I had 666 in my hand; I of course still kicked Matt’s butt in every game – think I’m about 30 ahead now) and headed back for Sydney Central YHA.  Woke up that morning and Matt looked like Rocky in Rocky 4 after the fight with that Russian dude; after much deliberation we decided it must have been some allergic reaction from something in the dirty squat room, or sun burn.  He'd also managed to again change the combination on his lock so we’ve gone out and bought a new one.  Weather was crap so we headed to Bondi for some shopping and Nando’s (yes!).  On our last day in Australia we took the ferry over to Manly and enjoyed the sunshine.

For those of you who ever come to Sydney and wanna hit the beach, we thought Palm was the nicest:
1.  Palm Beach
2.  Manly
3.  Bondi
4.  Bronte
5.  Collaroy - hole

That night we met up with our buddy Sean from the Blue Mountains and the whiskey did flow.  With a 5.30am wake up call to catch our flight to Christchurch, Matt decided to down a litre of water before hitting the hay in order to try and stem his hangover; drunken logic.....  About an hour and a half later he woke up with the most urgent call of nature, and with drunk logic still in charge he proceeded to search his bed for his room key card and came to the conclusion that it must be in his duvet.  With duvet in tow and wearing just his pants he headed for the toilet.  Upon arrival he searched his duvet, alas no key card, and at 3am realised there was no way to access the toilet, or get back into the room.  Thus wearing his duvet he had to head down to reception, and in front of all the returning drunken revellers had to ask for a replacement; another classic Matt moment, although one I sadly missed as I was comatose.  9am flight and we were on our way to New Zealand!

Comments

1

Alright fellas - enjoying reading the updates, loved the last bit with the lost key card. lol Keep em comin!

Cold and f*cking miserable here. Not jealous at all.

Mind how you go.

Jimbo

  James Robinson Jan 20, 2011 11:10 PM

About mattandandy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.