Existing Member?

My great adventure

It is fun to be a little retarded

THAILAND | Tuesday, 7 December 2010 | Views [650] | Comments [1]

It isn't a holiday but it is fun. I have been in Thailand now for over a month and I am thoroughly enjoying myself but perhaps not in the traditional holiday sense. I dont know about you but a fun holiday for me includes a number of different ingrediants most of which have a measure of excess. In the past holidays have included sailing with my mates which in reality was just a fun way to get north or south (or west right Phil) from Sydney and then have a few days of fun. I believe holiday fun should include a beach, afternoon cocktails based on rum and evenings of good food, wine and friends. You can catchup with old friends or seldom seen family, perhaps a round of golf, seeing some sights or even shopping. These are all traditional fun holidays.

This isnt what I am doing right now. I wake at dawn and spend +6hrs a day getting seven shades kicked out of me. I focus on my food intake as I require a lot of energy (but also trying to get trimmer), I need to make sure I am well hydrated which means getting through upwards of 6 litres of water a day. And I need to tend to my little cuts, bruises and strains.

It is currently 8pm as I write this and I got home about 30 odd minutes ago. I have showered and put my training wraps and ankle guards into my bucket of detol as they don't need to be sent to the laundry each day. I have had my protein shake and am currently watching law and order and I feel the pain in every muscle and joint start to come to the surface. My trainer has to my astonishment stepped the training up a level and now I am being pushed harder then I thought possible. For example at the end of each session I then go to the heavy bags and now snap out 300 knees and 400 front kicks before going to the incline benches for 200 crunches. I got so many kicks to the thighs that I can't tell which part is sore and the shins blocked a few hundred kicks and now have shooting pains up and down. Time to cover myself in deep heat and comtenplate a few pandols before bed.....

But strangely I find ths fun. Perhaps it is the challenge of pushing myself. Perhaps it is setting goals and seeing myself achive them, perhaps I am retarded ...... The more I think abotu this the more the latter seems closest to the mark. I am enjoying this like Rain Man enjoyed counting and Forest Gump liked to run. But once this is finished in January the rest of my holilday will be closer to the traditional fun holiday - clearly I am not a Full Retard.

Tags: training

Comments

1

You're not retarded but you are an unusual chap. Keep the updates coming

  Puppa G Dec 7, 2010 4:12 PM

About matt_whitmell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.