Existing Member?

The Good Life My travel journal.

The job!

FRANCE | Sunday, 10 June 2007 | Views [764]

Behaving badly at La Gaffe

Behaving badly at La Gaffe

Well last week was definitely my week – suddenly I had so many calls from agents, captains and had 2 job offers to chose from, both that I was pretty keen on – one was a deckhand / cook job on a sailing yacht and the other a stewardess job on a motor yacht. 

The job I have decided on is the stewardess for a 28m Benetti m/y – its only 8 months old, so practically brand new – there is a permanent captain and engineer / mate onboard (both poms), and when the owners are on board they bring their personal chef (SA guy – haven’t met him yet).  It is a seasonal job (because the boat stays in France for the winter) so I’ll be looking for a new position in October.  It suits me fine because I am very keen to head over to the Caribbean for the winter season.  Because I am the only stew my job will be a lot more varied than if I was one of the many on a bigger boat, which really appeals to me – I get to organise AND clean!  The boat is beautiful, sleeps 12 guests (aaaaagggghhh!) and the first charter is for the boss’s honeymoon!  We are going to be cruising around Corsica and the Italian coast, then back to the Balearic Islands for a couple of weeks.  It all sounds great to me, because I haven’t seen any of Italy or Spain yet. 

The boat is in the process of being sold, we are just waiting for the final paperwork to come through, so we are not allowed to live aboard until Thursday – so I am still in Antibes, our old home “The Resideal” for the next few nights - I should be able to move aboard by Friday at the latest.  Because I am the only girl, I get my own cabin (which is very unusual on these boats, so a nice bonus!) 

The last week has been a bit crazy – a couple of “new job” celebrations, a rather large birthday celebration, and just the general appreciating the lovely weather in the South of France and sipping shandies on the balcony / by the pool days, so as a result the last couple of nights have been (sort-of) detox days!  (I am seriously too old for this kind of behaviour!)  I have been taking full advantage of being able to take afternoon naps (after the morning tanning session), which I will not be able to do for a while now I think!

Right, I am off to the Blue Lady for lunch with my new crew, then off to buy crew uniforms – what a pleasure, shopping and spending someone else’s money

Tags: Work

About mascha_z


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.