Existing Member?

For the good of all Taking you with me on my journey...missing you already!

More wandering in Assisi

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 13 August 2009 | Views [641]

Wednesday, 12 August 2009

So full – and now it is over, the GPIW gathering. Tonight and tomorrow I will set aside for reflection about it, organising my notes and then sharing with you and the group. For now, more Assisi scenes, in photo and words.... 

The friars or brothers of St Francis wear brown or gray robes with a cord at the waist, and in the cord, three knots that represent the three vows:  poverty, chastity and obedience. They promise to strive to live the Gospel. There are also lay Franciscans and women in the Order of St Clare who follow the Franciscan and Clarise rules.

We had a wonderful tour of the Basilica of San Francesco with a friar narrating. We saw the original Rule of the Franciscan Order, written on one large page (about A3) – now 800 years old. We saw a blessing handwritten by St Francis for one of the brothers...some of his robes and shoes...a hair shirt (wow – would that itch!). Frescoes by marvelous painters – I learned that ‘fresco’ means painted on wet plaster, and that this helps the colour last. The frescoes have never been restored, only cleaned, and the colours are so vibrant and magnificent!

Today we went to the lower village of Assisi and saw the original church where St Francis and the brothers lived and worked. It is so gorgeous and miniature (I loved it of course) – the church hall is probably 3 metres wide by 6 metres, built of stone with a high pitched roof.  After St Francis’ death, a huge cathedral was built around and over the miniature church. The grounds also encompass a rose garden where the roses have no thorns – one of the miracles of St Francis is told that he was so distraught at his own shortcomings once that he threw himself down on the roses, thinking to hurt himself on the rose thorns. The roses withdrew their thorns, and since that time, 800 years ago, the roses that grow in the rose garden have no thorns – the only place in the world where that is so. There are also two white doves that live in an enclosed part of the church, nesting in a basket held by a statue of St Francis. There have always been two doves there, and they live without going outside, having babies who I presume then take over – said to be another miracle of the Saint. The life of St Francis and St Clare permeate Assisi in quite a beautiful way. The streets are full of monks and nuns as well as pilgrims and tourists.

As for food, I finally overdid it today on gelati, so I’m hoping that’s the end of that. I look forward to getting to Denmark and some different food choices (but some quite dangerous, between the pastry Sarah Bernard and Ben and Jerry’s coffee ice cream).

The story of doors in this town gets more interesting. In the time of St Francis, each house had a normal door to go in and out of, plus a ‘death door’, a small door where when there was a death in the family, the body was passed out through that door. It is said that when St Clare was leaving her parents’ home to become a nun, her father locked the door to prevent her, and she escaped through the death door. I’ll put a photo of a death door in the gallery. Human beings are certainly creative!

The squares here are full of life. Today in the square in front of the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli (the church that holds the little church), there were all kinds of people wandering through – a youth group had stopped to play guitar and sing in good choir harmony, with tambourines, sidewalk artists chalking huge religious portraits on the pavement, tourists exchanging cameras to help others get photos, women embroidering in front of their street stalls.

We went up to Eremo delle Carceri, a retreat where St Francis and the brothers went to pray in caves. It’s up quite a hike on Mt Subiaso (taxis are great), and in a very peaceful glade.

Well that’s probably enough for today. Lots of love from this beautiful place! 

About mary-faeth


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.