Existing Member?

Bob & Margot's travels Thailand, Vietnam & Cambodia

San Francisco 27 June to 4 July

USA | Saturday, 31 July 2010 | Views [186]

With some sadness we said farewell to some of Bob's family and drove in convey with Linda and John to their home in Portola Valley, stopping along the way to swim, then to enjoy a Mexican meal with their daughter Marie. 

Portola Valley sits above Palo Alto in the hills.  As with most area's in California it is bone dry.... to my kiwi eye... absolutely parched.

The focus of the week, in addition to enjoying family time, was for us to prepare for our Yosemite experience.  As our job offers came rather close to our departure, thus placing pressure on completion of required documentation, I spent many frustrating hours attempting to communicate with the US Consulate / State Dept. It was clear, that as I had entered the US on my NZ passport under the Visa Waiver system, I was unable to progress to achieve a J-1 Visa whilst remaining in the States. 

I found inexpensive fares to fly to Vancouver.  I won't bore you with the details, they aren't pretty!  The US Government is totally paranoid.  All passage  through any US Border requires me to stand with arms outstretched for the 'pat down'.  The only exception has been when I took my leg off and flung it onto the escalator to be scanned, then hopped through.  It appears only then that customs officials were satisfied that I had neither concealed weapons or drugs stashed in there!

Bob spent a major part of the week read through a mountain of information he had been sent from the NPS (National Park Service.)  He became progressively anxious about the breadth & depth of material had was to consume in order to fulfill his duties as an Interpretive Ranger.  I knew however, that although the task was challenging he would consume and integrate the historical and factual information regarding, the Miwok & Ahwahnee Indians, Pioneers, glaciation, Flora and Fauna.


He left for Yosemite Friday 2nd July and I flew to Vancouver, 8am Sunday 4th July.  I had to get up at 3:30am to be there in time!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.