Existing Member?

Bob & Margot's travels Thailand, Vietnam & Cambodia

Volunteering In Parks

USA | Friday, 6 August 2010 | Views [214]

I actually didn't realise until now that I am a VIP!  Yes and so far mostly that has meant getting to know Yosemite... hiking trails, checking out waterfalls, wandering through meadows, exploring by bicycle. WOW... Even attending early morning nature walks lead by my boss who is an amazing Naturalist... meaning knowledge of plants and bugs especially.

A couple of days off and a little time, after catching up on sleep and a number of chores, I have a little time to update my story. We are putting in 12 hour days, working 4 - 5 days in a row, then 2 - 3 days off.  We live in a comfortable apartment just outside of the park entrance to the west right on the Merced River.  El Portal, otherwise known as Hell Portal.... it gets up over 100 degrees, although today was quite alot cooler at 93!  Air Con and a swimming pool within 100metres makes it bearable.

The plan to work in one of the most stunningly beautiful National Parks in the US, came to fruition after considerable hard work.... Offers of employment came close to our departure date, so every available moment was focused on achieving satisfactory documentation to enable Yosemite National Park to employ us.  Bob as a Seasonal Interpretive Ranger and on his recommendation, me as a Volunteer Interpretive Ranger.  He started July 7th, then after a couple of weeks of study to prepare, he was launched into the tasks of; 2hour tram tours and working behind the Visitors Centre desk.

I flew back into the States from Vancouver, July 20th, with the frantically sought document stamped & stapled into my passport FINALLY.  What a load of red tape!  I started in my Volunteer capacity a couple of days later.  And as I started out this story this was to familiarise myself with the park.  The valley floor is lush with tall trees, this together with low impact building means that trails and roadways are not immediately clear.  Signage is being improved, but still after 3 weeks I find myself being a little unclear as to where I am.  My wings were clipped from visiting with gay abandon and I had to don my uniform and begin serious duties 1 week ago.  So now my days are spent answering a multitude of questions in person at the visitors centre, or by phone at the (PIO)or Public Information Office.  It does seem amazing that the front-line voice of one of America's most famous National Parks is that of a volunteer... a a foreigner at that!

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.