Existing Member?

Bob & Margot's travels Thailand, Vietnam & Cambodia

A week in Tahoe

USA | Saturday, 3 July 2010 | Views [286] | Comments [1]

The house we stayed in was very comfortable and extravagent by NZ standards...6 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, 2 storied with decks of both levels.  Perfect to accomodate the 10 - 11 person family. 

Many wonderful hours were spent around the large dining table or out on the deck, enjoying Marguerita's, wine, tasty food and stimulating conversation.

The days, after leisurely mornings, involved a range of outdoor activities from cycling...Yes I actually managed to ride quite well, although I had the occasional fall, which I'm sure with practice will become less frequent.

Playing softball... also a bit of a challenge, I had to work on my ball handling skills as the running skills are severely compromised.  Just to hang out on the green grassy pitch, enjoying the scenery and listening to the local birds made it worthwhile.

Hikes... locally & bush hikes along the Tahoe Rim. 

We checked out the up market homes on our first day... sales tickets in the millions.  Note .. these are holiday homes!!

One day several of us; Bob, 2 of his 3 sisters, Annette & Linda & Linda's husband & I drove up to the rim and for several miles off the highway into Watson Lake.  The hike took us predominantly along the rim (About 7200feet) for about 51/2 to 6 miles, through  wooded slopes, affording a few spectacular views of  the lake.  Many wild flowers were out providing a great opportunity to play with the macro function on my camera.  I will post some if I manage to figure that out.

Kayaking... The views from North Tahoe was spectactular as being early in the summer season the mountains in the south were coated in snow.  This time Bob & I went with sisters Annette and Maria + Maria's eldest, Emily. An hour floating over crystal clear aqua waters was so peaceful ... views of the shore are quite different than those from the land as most homes are hidden by trees giving the illusion of being in wilderness much of the time.

Will write more later if this works.

Margot

 

Comments

1

Hi Margot

Wondering how you are getting on in the Californian sunshine - mainly cold and wet here

Cheers

Gavin

  Gavin Jul 18, 2010 5:43 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.